Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to move backup files to another disk

Dsheumaker
Level 3

BUE2010 R3 SP4 CASO environment

Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter Sp1

Heres what i have going on. We have a government contract that requires us to have a pretty strict retention policy, and becasue of this, it's creating drive space issues. WE are required to keep our yearly full backups /for 10+ years. I would like to move some of the olders yearlys to another drive, lets say a device like a buffalo NAS, to clear up space for our normal backups to run. Once we get enough space cleared up then we can complete noramlly or setup our yearly jobs to backup to this new device. 

Is it possible to move these old backup files through BUE so that if they ever needed to be restored BUE will not freak out when the job runs.

IM fairly new to BUE so if this is something already talked about please point me in the right direction, after some googling i did not see what i was looking for. Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Don't copy them...rather create a duplicate job to duplicate the information to the other drive. If you don't do it this way, you're going to end up with data that can't be restored. read below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH24544

Thanks!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Don't copy them...rather create a duplicate job to duplicate the information to the other drive. If you don't do it this way, you're going to end up with data that can't be restored. read below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH24544

Thanks!

Dsheumaker
Level 3

So create a duplicate job for each server that i want to move the data. Can i move multiple years worth of backups in one job? Also how to delete the data once the move is complete?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Yes. You can select multiple backup sets when you do a manual duplication. To delete the backup sets, you got to associate the corresponding media files with the Retired Media set, right-click on them and select delete. To is well delete them from the console. You then need to delete them from the disk manually

Dsheumaker
Level 3

So if i mark this as a solution will this thread get locked? i would like to leave it open in case i run into some issues when it comes time for me to make the changes. Thanks!

Dsheumaker
Level 3

im assuming that it will, but this will work with cloud storage correct?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It will get locked after a month or so after it is marked as solved.  You should mark it as solved if your questions/problem has been answered/solved.

If you have addition questions, you should create a new discussion.  Do not post all your questions in one discussion.  It just create confusion.  Always create a new discussion for each question/problem.

You should close this discussion.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

BE only support a few cloud configurations.  You should start a new discussion and describe exactly what you have in mind.