cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to prevent client to enter standby mode while backup exec agent is active?

starbug
Level 2

Hi,

I'm using BE 2010-R3 Rev. 5204 on my Win2K3 serve and same for BE-Agent ob my german Win7 64 bit machine.

How can I prevent that Win7 enters standby mode while a backup job is active? Ok I could reconfigure the client to not use any energy saving setting but this is not a solution, just a work arround. I thought that BE-Agent should be smart enough to handle this itsself.

I read a thread on creating a pre-/post-backup script but don't know how to do this (possibly power script). Unfortunately the solution was not posted to this thread.

Thanks for nay help,

Stefan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

This isn't really a Symantec issue. You need to ask this question over at the Microsoft forums. Even if the agent is busy, it's only 1 service out of many that are busy when a workstation enters standby. Just because it is active doesn't mean the workstation won't standby.

You could try extending the amount of time that it waits before doing this.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV

Hi,

This isn't really a Symantec issue. You need to ask this question over at the Microsoft forums. Even if the agent is busy, it's only 1 service out of many that are busy when a workstation enters standby. Just because it is active doesn't mean the workstation won't standby.

You could try extending the amount of time that it waits before doing this.

Thanks!

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Stefan,

Also just to add what CraigV has added. I think you are concerned that backups will not work when the machine is in stanby. I do not think that is the case. Backups will still work when the machine is in Standby  as long as it is started.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

if standby shutsdown the network interface (which it will on most systems) then the backusp will fail. However as someone else has mentioned it is not really a BE issue but an OS issue and you need a way to disable Stanby during the backup. You might be able to do it with Pre- and post- Commands but you would still need an command to change the settings in the OS whcih woudl ahve to come from Microsoft.

CraigV

I think you are wrong here. When a machine is locked by a user, THEN the backup will run.

When Windows is suspended, ie. hibernated nothing runs as the workstation keeps the bare minimum running in memory. The OS effectively shuts down.

starbug
Level 2

Hi CraigV

Thanks for your feedback. I extended the time to enter standby mode. It is now long ennough that the backup job can be completed.

Stefan