cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove Read-Only from Media

sstrong
Level 4

On a USB I got the alert "Change the Limit Backup Exec to read-only operations" and my device had it's media set to "Limit Backup Exec to read-only operations".

The device was used just 1 week ago and worked fine. I can still create a text file on the USB so I know it's ok. How do I change it back to read/write media? Under the storage device in BE2014 on WS2012R2, when the device is shown "online" in Media I can change "Limit Backup Exec to read-only operations" from "No" to "Yes" but the "Apply" button is greyed out.

Another alert says the BE Settings - Storage "Limit BE to read only operations ..." was incorrect but those where set to 14 days (Disk) and 30 Days (Cartidges). I turned them both off but it made no difference.

How do I resolve this?

9 REPLIES 9

Steve-Young
Level 6
Employee

You maybe running into a known issue  KB - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH223060

pkh
   VIP    Certified
For the offline storage, you should change "Limit Backup Exec to read-only operations" from "Yes" to "No".

sstrong
Level 4

Thanks, is there a fix or workaround (that works).

Once the Media is set to "Limit Backup Exec to read-only operations", there seems to be no way to set it back. Yes, I can select "Yes" from the dropdown (as explained above), but the "Apply" button is greyed out...

sstrong
Level 4

Tried that. "Apply" button is greyed out

pkh
   VIP    Certified
When you eject the USB drive, did it go offline in BE? If yes, plug it back in and make sure that it's status in BE is online and then try making it read/write

sstrong
Level 4

As mentioned above, when it is "Online" the Apply button is still greyed out. Looks like another bug... Ejecting and plugging back in comes back with all the correct messages in BE - but the Apply is still not available.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I happened to have a USB disk where this value was set to Yes. On my system the apply button was not even visible when I first accessed the propeties page of the USB disk. When I changed the Limit to Read Only setting ot No, the apply button appeared (in the same bar as the help button) and I could operate it, it was not greyed out.

As your experience seems to be different you may need to log a formal support csse for us to look into it.

sstrong
Level 4

Ok. I notice that my current set of media was last created exactly 30 days ago - which explains why the current bug in BE2014 is causing the problem. However, with the Apply button greyed out I'll need to create new media. The last time I did this (30 days ago) I lost all my backup set history too.

I'll raise a case but give the long tern around times I expect I'll just need to recreate all my media...

lwadmin
Not applicable

In my case helped manual erase tapes. Then "inventory and Catalog now" I can do it again backup on tape.