cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove a server from the Backup Exec Remote Administrator or Admin console "Connect to server" drop-down list?

GrayFog
Level 3
The steps described in Document 230872 seems to not work any more. Maybe I missed something, but it had worked for older BE versions...

My registry key "Menu Server List" was already empty expect of the number "15" and I deleted the ADS object(s) "BEServer" with stopped BE services. Using BE 12.5 SP1 with all Hotfixes installed.

Where is the list stored now and how can I clear it?
5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
I'd go as far as doing a search in your registry to find that particular server name, and remove the name from there.
Backup your registry first though.

GrayFog
Level 3
Sorry didnt mentioned it: I had no luck with searching the registry and all files for the server name text string in my profile and BE installation directory...

MitchR
Level 6
From my original article at:
  http://www.backupexecfaq.com/articles/problems/how-to-remove-a-server-from-the-connect-to-server-and-connect-to-media-server-lists.html

Sometimes you may have an old server listed in the Backup Exec Remote Administrator "Connect to server" and "Connect to Media Server" drop-down lists. Here's how to remove them.

There are a number of dead Veritas links in the knowedge base and support forums, making this information hard to find.

Working link (as of June 2007): http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/230872.htm

This is a 2 step process, which isn't immediately clear from the article. Both steps are required to remove old servers from the list.

Step 1:
Delete old servers from the registry of the computer you use to run the Backup Exec Administrator:
(Note the article has an incomplete list of BE versions)

Backup Exec for Windows NT 7.0.1 or 7.2 - /HKey_Local_Machine/Software/Seagate Software/Backup Exec/Local UI/Menu Server List
Backup Exec for Windows NT and Windows 2000 7.3 or 8.0 - /HKey_Local_Machine/Software/Veritas/Backup Exec/Local UI/Menu Server List
Backup Exec for Windows NT and Windows 2000 8.5 or 8.6 - /HKey_Current_User/Software/Veritas/Backup Exec/User Interface/Menu Server List
Backup Exec for Windows Servers 9.0 - /HKey_Current_User/Software/Veritas/Backup Exec/9.0/User Interface/Menu Server List
Backup Exec for Windows Servers 9.1 - /HKey_Current_User/Software/Veritas/Backup Exec/9.1/User Interface/Menu Server List
Backup Exec for Windows Servers 10.0 - /HKey_Current_User/Software/Veritas/Backup Exec/10.0/User Interface/Menu Server List
Backup Exec for Windows Servers 10.1 - /HKey_Current_User/Software/Veritas/Backup Exec/10.1/User Interface/Menu Server List
Backup Exec for Windows Servers 11.0 - /HKey_Current_User/Software/Symantec/Backup Exec for Windows servers /11.0/User Interface/Menu Server List
Step 2:
If in an Active Directory environment, the Backup Exec object also needs to be deleted to complete this process:

Stop all Backup Exec server services
Click Start | Programs | Administrative Tools | Active Directory Users and Computers | Computer
Make sure you have "Advanced Features" under the "View" menu enabled to see the "BEServer" object. It should be in the "Computers" OU.
Delete the BEServer object
Start all Backup Exec server services.
The "BEServer" object will be recreated and populated by any Backup Exec media servers in the domain once their services are restarted.

GrayFog
Level 3
Thx MitchR, please read my post not only the heading or ask if something is unclear.

BTW: the article at backupexecfaq.com is lacking the lates infos from the Symantec KB.

MitchR
Level 6
Maybe you're having the same problem I had - this is a 2 step process.  Just clearing out the registry entry is not enough - you must also clean out the Active Directory object(s).  At least in my case, I had to complete both steps, every time, for the list to clean up.  Perhaps you didn't read all of my reply that mentioned that.