cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to reorganize media within differten Media sets

EJ_Terpstra
Level 3
I found out that it is possible to make my own media sets. With this option I want to reorganize some of my B2D files to other media sets because then it's possible to make differences in overwrite periods.

My situation is as follow:

At this moment I backup Exchange, SQL and data to IMG (Exchange) and B2D files. I want the SQL and Exchange backup files not to be overwritten within 5 weeks and I the data for about 10 or 12 weeks. So I have to make 2 media sets, one for data and one for SQL and Exchange and then change the overwrite protection period. But, at this moment, there are a lot of B2D files which are used by both SQL and data. How can I arrange that the data backup job only writes backups to B2D files in the data Media set? And how do I find out which B2D files I have to move to the correct Media sets?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
OK if using Backup to disk yes you do need to sort out your media sets, BUT you are also going to need separate Backup To Disk Devices. As even if you put a piece of media in a specific media set - unless it is also in a different device then Backup Exec can move it from one media set to another - look at the table regarding overwriting media in the Managing Media section of the Admin guide and you will see that every configuration option eventually includes "Overwrite Recyclable Media in any media set" and when tape choice is made using that option the tape will move to the media set of the job requesting it.

If you have separate B2D devices (with each job using the appropriate device) as we won't move a media between devices so it will stay in  the media set used by jobs in that device.

Now to answer your actual question, how to identify what media to move is difficult and in fact almost impossible to do - reason is that if currently you are appending to the current BKF files and they were all in one media set then it is extremely likely that you have media that has data from more than one of the types of job you want to split up. You can find out which media was used by which job by reviewing job logs. You can also find out which data is on which media by using the approproate views in the restore selections - might be very time consuming sorting it out though - unless you were doing overwrite jobs and not appends anyway.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Did you backed up you files and the exchange & Sql in one job ... IF so it would not be possible to it
If the backup Job were different then you can check the B2d files the job created, in the job log  and you can move those B@D file to the media set you want to

EJ_Terpstra
Level 3

Yes. I have different jobs for all our different kinds of data. :P
So the B2D files from one job are never used for other jobs, even though the last files are not full?

JoaoMatos
Level 6
Partner
Hi,
I do not know how do you have your configuration now, if your jobs are pointing to media-sets or not..
Does old B2D have overwrite protection periods? Are you sure, if same B2D have only Exchange or SQL Data?
I think you should start now using different media-sets as you explain, and do not be worry with old data.

Regards,
JoaoMatos

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
OK if using Backup to disk yes you do need to sort out your media sets, BUT you are also going to need separate Backup To Disk Devices. As even if you put a piece of media in a specific media set - unless it is also in a different device then Backup Exec can move it from one media set to another - look at the table regarding overwriting media in the Managing Media section of the Admin guide and you will see that every configuration option eventually includes "Overwrite Recyclable Media in any media set" and when tape choice is made using that option the tape will move to the media set of the job requesting it.

If you have separate B2D devices (with each job using the appropriate device) as we won't move a media between devices so it will stay in  the media set used by jobs in that device.

Now to answer your actual question, how to identify what media to move is difficult and in fact almost impossible to do - reason is that if currently you are appending to the current BKF files and they were all in one media set then it is extremely likely that you have media that has data from more than one of the types of job you want to split up. You can find out which media was used by which job by reviewing job logs. You can also find out which data is on which media by using the approproate views in the restore selections - might be very time consuming sorting it out though - unless you were doing overwrite jobs and not appends anyway.