cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to restore BKF in Win 7

edgudini
Level 3

Hello Everybody,

Is possible restore a Backup EXEC 2012 BKF file on a machine running Windows 7 Professional Ed.??

Thanks!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...if you only have Windows 7, you can try to copy the files to that machine, and then use the Backup and Restore functionality within Win7 to restore (Windows Backup). I doubt this will even work though...getting a Windows Server OS installed on something as a temporary measure is still going to be your best shot.

Otherwise get hold of a desktop virtualisation application (like Sun VirtualBox), create a Windows Server OS VM, and then try the restore after installing BE on this. Sun VirtualBox would run on Windows 7.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

lmosla
Level 6

What version of Backup Exec was used to backup the .bkf?  Where was the file backed up from?  Is the Agent for Windows installed on the Windows 7 machine?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Yes. You can restore a. bkf file onto A Windows 7 machine. I don't exactly know what you are after but note that you cannot load BE on a Windows 7 machine and use it as a media server. This is not supported

edgudini
Level 3

I have installed Backup EXEC 2012 on a Windows Server 2008 R2 STD Server, then I Backup a bunch of files (5 GB), three days later my Win 2008 Server Crashed Down, so I need to restore the BKF File on my PC running Windows 7 Professional. How can I do that??

lmosla
Level 6

Do you have an install of Backup Exec running?  

edgudini
Level 3

No, because I Cant install Backup EXEC 2012 on an Operating System for PC, It is only for Server Operating System like Windows 2003 or Win 2008, but I Haven't another server or License to do that....

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...if you only have Windows 7, you can try to copy the files to that machine, and then use the Backup and Restore functionality within Win7 to restore (Windows Backup). I doubt this will even work though...getting a Windows Server OS installed on something as a temporary measure is still going to be your best shot.

Otherwise get hold of a desktop virtualisation application (like Sun VirtualBox), create a Windows Server OS VM, and then try the restore after installing BE on this. Sun VirtualBox would run on Windows 7.

Thanks!

edgudini
Level 3

OK, thanks for your help!!

Regards

stepheny_stanle
Level 2

I have tried to restore bkf file in Windows 7 after downloading ntbackup.exe available for Windows 7 but now I am facing a new issue with an error message i.e. backup file is unrecognized and cannot be used. please guide me to proceed in restoring bkf files.