cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to restore DC to new server?

JohnXYZ
Level 3

Hi All,

I installed one Primary DC(PDC) and one Assistance DC(ADC), and backup their system state. I use domain administrator user(backupuser) as BackupExec default system logon account. Now, I installed two the same OS as DC and ADC, and installed backupexec agent, I want to do two test for future need  :

1. Shutdown this two DC, and restore them to two new server. I think it will have one problem, that is, the restore process won't work, because I use domain administrator user(backupuser) as BackupExec default system logon account, this account won't work when I shutdown PDC and ADC. What should I do?

2. Because I use PDC and ADC, I think they won't crush at the same time. That is, How do I restore DC when PDC or ADC down? Take PDC had crushed for example, I restore its former system state to one new server. But it will have another problem at this time, PDC's machine name had existed on ADC. Need I delete it on ADC and then restore PDC's system state to new server?

3. Need I add two new servers to domain before doing above 1 or 2 ?

5 REPLIES 5

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Check the Disaster Recovery section of -

Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH83015

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Read the Preparing for Disaster Recovery section of the BE Admin Guide which can be found in the BE installation directory.  It covers how to do an authoriative and non-authoritative recovery of your AD.  Most of your questions are answered there.

It is good to have at least 2 DC's in a domain.  The chances of both crashing will be less.

JohnXYZ
Level 3

I do it via http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH86323, but I don't know how select destination server, that is, the new server. Please see attachment.

JohnXYZ
Level 3
It appeared one error when restore DC to new server, pleasse see attachment.

ArulPrasad
Level 6
Employee

Hi,

Ensure the Media is Inventoried and cataloged before Running the restore.

If the media has been Overwriten or Removed from the Actual Destination drive (Tape Library / drive / backup to disk folder /dedupe) . then the restore will fail with the above error message.

How to verify what media ?

From the restore selection check your Server -> resource (i.e c:\) -> backup set date

have it checked

select the Tab taht Says View by media

locate the media

Make Sure the same media is present in the destination Drive

Regards

ARul