cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to restore Sharepoint content database to filesystem?

spoekes
Level 4

i have a problem with Backup Exec 2010 and a Sharepoint 2007 site. I wanted to restore some deleted files from a documentlibrary with Backup Exec. However this was only partial successfully. For some files i get the error V-79-57344-33938. For unknown reasons those documents where not restored.

To workaround this, i want to restore the contentdatabase manually to the filesystem to create a new web application on a different server to get access to the files.

How can i do this with Backup Exec in a save way? Thank you very much!

9 REPLIES 9

ArulPrasad
Level 6
Employee

You may not be able to restore it to a file system, But the content DB can be restored to the SQL instance.

In the restore -> sharepoint redirection

Restore to SQL server\instance

Once recovered You may use the database for recovery.

Microsoft SharePoint redirection options

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO23875

Regards,

Arul

spoekes
Level 4

Thank you for your quick response!

Under the section sharepoint redirection i do not have the option to restore to SQL server\instance.

Do you mean Microsoft SQL-Redirection ? (name could be different, in german its called Microsoft SQL-Umleitung)
Is this option also working for a Sharepoint web backup?

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

What is the version of Backup Exec that you are using ? Becase the option mentioned above is only available from BE 2010 R3.

Thanks,

-Sush...

spoekes
Level 4

I have version 13.0 Rev 2896 (64 Bit)

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

13.0 Rev 2896 is Backup Exec 2010 R1.

You can upgrade to BE 2010 R3 which is 13.0 Rev 5204.

Its a free upgrade as same license keys are used. to download BE 2010 R3 you can go to www.backupexec.com

Thanks,

-Sush...

spoekes
Level 4

Can i still access my old backups with this upgrade?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Absolutely

spoekes
Level 4

I am still unsure if i should go through the whole process of updating for the following reasons:
The collegue who normally manages Backup Exec is on vacancy and can not be reached, so i have no access to the license number nor the contract.For the same reason i cannot contact support.I also think that upgrading is a rather timely operation and i am in a hurry.

The reason i tried this workaround was that i can't restore some files from a documentlibrary in Sharepoint. For some reasons only older files could be restored. I also tried to restore those files to the filesystem which didn´t work either.

Is there a solution for this problem or alternativly:

Is there no way to simply extract a file from the backupsets that Backup Exec creates?

spoekes
Level 4

I Found a solution.

The contentdatabase lied directy in a backup folder.
I could directy copy it to a dev machine and extract the necessary files.

Many thanks for your help