cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set up incremental/differential backups with alternating sets of removable media?

RTI_Systems
Not applicable

I have some questions about best practices and how incremental backups work with removable media.

So we have a total of four USB HDDs. These are split into two pools, "Drive Pool A" and "Drive Pool B". At the end of each day, one of our employees is responsible for taking home both the disks from one pool. The next day he plugs those disks back in and removes the disks from the other pool and takes those home. 

My question is how should I set this up with differential or incremental backups? 

I can provide more info if required. Thanks.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

See my article below

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-rotate-external-harddisks

Although it is written for BE 2010, the principle still applies to BE 15.

Note that BE 15 requires the entire backup chain to be online when you do a restore, so it is better to keep the entire backup chain on the same disk.

View solution in original post

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If you are performing GRT backups  of any resources then you will have to perform full backups every day as you cannot have the full (or previous incremental) backups on an offline drive and still do GRT enabled differential or incremental backups of the same resource

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

See my article below

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-rotate-external-harddisks

Although it is written for BE 2010, the principle still applies to BE 15.

Note that BE 15 requires the entire backup chain to be online when you do a restore, so it is better to keep the entire backup chain on the same disk.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If you are performing GRT backups  of any resources then you will have to perform full backups every day as you cannot have the full (or previous incremental) backups on an offline drive and still do GRT enabled differential or incremental backups of the same resource