cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to setup GRT individual mail from Exchange 2010?

bubble
Level 3
Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to do a POC for a customer to show the GRT capability in BE2010. Client having Exchange 2010 in Cluster mode with DAB option. They also have one CAS server. Can someone clarify me the correct way to install agents and then how to do GRT? So I've done following steps,

1. Install BE media server in a Windows 2008 R2 machine.
2. Install Excahnge management console in the Media server.
3. Install Agents to the Exchange 2010 cluster server (Mailbox servers)
4. Apply the SP1 for the BE2010 media server.
5. Planning to upgrade the agents in the Exchange 2010 cluster servers.

I did a full backup to tape and also to a disk-to-folder based backups. But when it comes to restore it fails saying cannot communicate with the agent in the remote server. I did enter the FQDN in the remote agent and restart the agent as well in the exchange servers. So far no luck.

My main concerns remain do I have to install an agent on the Exchange CAS sever as well?

I assume GRT will work fine with tape based backup as long as I've carried out full backup with GRT option enable during the backups.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Susantha
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

bubble
Level 3

Ok Symantec Engineer managed to isolaote the problem. It is related to the proxy server been configured on the CAS server side. When the Symantc try to locate the CAS servers the given certificate being resolved for the proxt server name instead of the CAS server NLB address. After removing the proxy details from the registry we manage to restore the singular e-mail level restore.

Cheers,

Susantha

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Make sure all the clients in the cluster should have the remote agent installed.
Make sure you have the exchange management 2010 installed on the BE server
You should have the GRT option selected for the exchange in the backup job.
You should have all the rights on the account you are using to backup. The account should be
unique(first five character should be unique), domain admin, exchanger organization administrator, active mailbox, unhidden from GAL.

Also make sure the exchange management console should be of same version on BE and on the exchange server

bubble
Level 3
Hi Sazz,

Thanks for your support buddy. What I also want to calrify is do I have to isntall BEWS on CAS server as well? In one of the Smantec Training module they have mention like that as well. Apart from that I'm going to double check the Exchange MC version on both machines.

Can you kindly elobrate on the "domain admin, exchanger organization administrator, active mailbox, unhidden from GAL"

Thanks,
Susantha

sksujeet
Level 6
The CAS(centreal admin server is the one which manages your jobs and devices from one server or manages your managed media sever MMS) server should have BE installed and the server that has BE installeld you can't install remote agent on that server.
Can you kindly elobrate on the "domain admin, exchanger organization administrator, active mailbox, unhidden from GAL"

The account that you are using should be domain admin, should have active mailbox associated with that account, unhidden from global access list. You can check these setting through active direcotry user and computers and open the properties of the user from which you are backing up exchange.

cedric
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi Bubble,

ExchangeGRT jobs should be backed up on the target backup-to-disk folder as per symantec recommendation.

bubble
Level 3
Cool guys, got them clarified. After follwoing the clues given by sazz about the unique account I found how to solve that out as well. Well looks like my approaches are fine in that case. only think I did incorrectley is isntalling Exchange management console after isntalling the BE but I guess even after media server restart it shoudl be ok.

I agree with you cedric, I have already informed customer to think tape as long term archival solution and use their NAS bok for disk based backup and then to tape weekly.

I'll update you guys tmw after visting that side. Thanks again for all you support.

Cheers,
Susantha

sksujeet
Level 6

Please provide the solution which pointed you in right direction if it is resolved

bubble
Level 3

Hi Everyone,

Finally I managed to solve the problems and do a successful restore in my test lab environment.  The steps I've taken is been published in my blog for others reference as well.

http://technetsrilanka.net/blogs/bubble/archive/2010/09/20/how-to-retrieve-individual-e-mail-from-exchange-backup-using-symantec-backup-exec-2010.aspx

I'd be really happy if you find the given information in the blog articel is useful for anyone :) Please share your comments.

bubble
Level 3

Even though in my test lab everythign work fine i'm having a major issue restoring mails at the customer site. Customer having 2 CAS server and 2 MBX servers in DAG setup. I've isntalled agents for all 4 servers but still having issue when it comes to restore.

Issue has been escalated to the Symantec engineer and awating for the results. I'll update you all if I get any green light from them.

bubble
Level 3

Ok Symantec Engineer managed to isolaote the problem. It is related to the proxy server been configured on the CAS server side. When the Symantc try to locate the CAS servers the given certificate being resolved for the proxt server name instead of the CAS server NLB address. After removing the proxy details from the registry we manage to restore the singular e-mail level restore.

Cheers,

Susantha