cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to setup Tape Library on BE 2014 Server

sami2000
Level 4

Dear Experts

I have Symantec BE2014 installed on Windows Server 2008 R2 ,actually this server is a VM on Esxi5.1  host,So I would like to install our Tape Library ( HP MSL 2024 LTO4 Ultirum ) to be used by our Symantec BE2014 for backup of our Data and systems on tape media  .

Could you guide me for starting my initial configuration as I am new with Symantec BE2014.

Looking for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Yes...

1. Stop the other application's services and disable them.

2. Start up BE's services. if they are already started up, then restart them.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

This is considered an alternate configuration when using a tape storage with a virtualized media server. Have a look @ this KB - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH130609

CraigV

...so, while it does work (i've been forced to use this particular configuration before!), it's going to give you issues.

You can expect the following:

1. No VMotion of your VM due to a physical device being attached to it. In order to do so you'd be required to disconnect the device and do so manually! Then plug the MSL's cable into the other host and redo everything...

2. If the tape drive drops out of Windows (and trust me it will!), you need to restart the physical host meaning unnecessary server downtime.

best bet is to keep your media server physical. I would recommend that you do so!

Thanks!

sami2000
Level 4

After reading your comments and recommendations I prefere to Install Symantec BE2014 on Physical machive.

I will install it on our old backup server which have connected with MSL2024 and using the former backup software( HP Data Protector ).( it is still works ..)

as the Tape library HP MSL2014 already connected to backup server and I am planning to shift step by step to Symantec BE2014 to use it with tapes for all our systems and DATA.

I would like to ask is it poosible to have BE2014 software on same physical server of HP data protector software and tow softwares works unliss for few months until full transfer for our Symnatec BE2014??

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

For the time being, it should not be a problem as long as BE's backups jobs do not conflict/coincide with the backups run by the other software. Secondly, if you plan to use the tape drive for BE, do ensure BE has exclusive access to this tape drive.

CraigV

...this isn't a case of jobs conflicting. It's got to do with 2 different backup software applications vying for control of the library. Whichever application grabs control of the library, has control of it.

This wouldn't be the case if:

1. The second backup application has its services disabled, and the application you want to use has its services restarted to reflect this;

2. The library can be physically partitioned and effectively shared between both applications.

Thanks!

sami2000
Level 4

Is it means I should disable the old software services before start Symantec BE2014 jobs??.

CraigV

Yes...

1. Stop the other application's services and disable them.

2. Start up BE's services. if they are already started up, then restart them.

Thanks!