cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to shortcut a catalogue?

owen_schmierer
Level 3
Hi everyone. I'm after some help regarding cataloguing tapes. Basically we wanted to do an AD restore onto our test server from our current backup set which spans 6-7 tapes. The thing is that on this test server, doing a catalogue takes a few days as i wants to go through every tape. Given that all we basically want to restore is the system state and local drive, is there a way around cataloguing every tape?

Forgive me if this is a basic query, i wouldn't call myself an advanced backup exec user.

regards,
owen.
6 REPLIES 6

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Owen,

It depends on what actually you are doing.
- Is this a normal Restore or a disaster Recovery?
- Do you know on which of the Tapes this System State and the local drive has been backed up?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

owen_schmierer
Level 3
Hi amruta.

This is a practice disaster recovery. I do not know which tape has the system state on it, however if i find out can i then just catalogue that tape to make it quicker?

Thanks,
Owen.

owen_schmierer
Level 3
Just did this so answered my own question. I will do some more testing and make sure that I can replicate it.

Peter_Ludwig
Level 6
No, Owen there is no quicker way. You should keep track of your tapes. Or backup the catalogs (probably the easiestway).

greetings
Peetr

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
if you are using MSDE and not MS-SQL to store your database, see http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/280710.htm to restore BackupExec including the catalogs from a tape backup. Tho if you don't know which tape contains the System State, you probably don't know which one has the last backup of the BackupExec install either

owen_schmierer
Level 3
Thanks for the input Ken. We are using SQL however. I think I will just schedule a job to copy the catalogue files once a week to another location.

Many thanks,
Owen.