cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to specify a slot in the library

marcosavelino
Not applicable
I have three jobs they run every day of the week each in a given partition, do not want to create for each day of a job, but I need to identify which slot in the partition would make the next backup.

Ex:

job name device
1 runs Monday partiition 1 a1
2 runs Monday partiition 2-2
3 runs Monday partiition 3-3

Is there any way to do this without me having a job for each day and know which slot goes to backup

My English is weak, try to facilitate the response min
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi there,

From my side, I partition as follows in an 8-slot HP StorageWorks 1/8 G2 autoloader:

Daily - Slots 1 --> 5
Weekly - Slots 6 & 7
Monthly - Slot 8

Grouping 5 slots together and sending the daily slots to them means ONLY the daily jobs run to them. Depending on my overwrite protection period, the backup job grabs the first free tape. So it won't necessarily grab the tape in slot 1 for a Monday backup...it might be the tape in slot 3.
If you want to direct a day's backup to a specific slot, you will need to partition the autoloader accordingly. I would then suggest using a GFS policy for easy management, but it will show multiple jobs.

Laters!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Hi there,

From my side, I partition as follows in an 8-slot HP StorageWorks 1/8 G2 autoloader:

Daily - Slots 1 --> 5
Weekly - Slots 6 & 7
Monthly - Slot 8

Grouping 5 slots together and sending the daily slots to them means ONLY the daily jobs run to them. Depending on my overwrite protection period, the backup job grabs the first free tape. So it won't necessarily grab the tape in slot 1 for a Monday backup...it might be the tape in slot 3.
If you want to direct a day's backup to a specific slot, you will need to partition the autoloader accordingly. I would then suggest using a GFS policy for easy management, but it will show multiple jobs.

Laters!

CraigV
Hi,

Have you come right here?

Thanks!