cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to troubleshoot issues with single Tape Drive

Sharath_Shashid
Level 4

Every time that you swap tapes, you need to inventory a stand-alone drive or the slot in a library that has changed for the Tape to be detected.

Is their any way to make it auto.

Am using IBM IBM ULTRIUM-HH5 tape drive with Symantech Backup Exe 2012 Sp3.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

There is no way for the tape drive/library to know that it needs to notify BE that its status has changed.  For all it know, it could be another another backup software that is controlling it.

If you are using a tape library and is importing tapes, then the slot information will be automatically updated  after the import.  If the tapes have barcode labels, this is automatic.  If the tapes do not have barcode labels, then you can select the auto-inventory option in the import job.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

If you are swapping your tapes at a particular time of the day each day / day of the week each week, you can schedule the Inventory job to run a couple of hours before the scheduled 'tape swap' time. 

This will make sure an Inventory job for that device runs automatically at the scheduled time.

In Backup Exec 2012, this can be done by :

1. Going to the Storage tab

2. Select the device you want to Scheule an Inventory job for.

3. Click on Inventory from the top ribbon menu and select "Schedule"

4. Select Schedule in the jog properties and select Recurrence - set the desired schedule options and click OK

Sharath_Shashid
Level 4

Thanks for the fast responce.

I have sheduled the inventory job.

But one thing i don't understand after swaping tapes it should auto detect the tape & show the tape lable.

Is it the Tape dive short comming or is some issue with my backup exe software or any driver issue.  

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

No, the only way that BE knows the tape is available and what it is, is through an Inventory.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

There is no way for the tape drive/library to know that it needs to notify BE that its status has changed.  For all it know, it could be another another backup software that is controlling it.

If you are using a tape library and is importing tapes, then the slot information will be automatically updated  after the import.  If the tapes have barcode labels, this is automatic.  If the tapes do not have barcode labels, then you can select the auto-inventory option in the import job.

Sharath_Shashid
Level 4

oh... Ok I understoud. Thanks for the info.