cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to turn off GRT for Differential

tech43
Level 4

We have a full backup job that runs 6x per week almost 24 hrs each job. I am trying to change the job to only run the full on Monday and differentials Tue-Sat. Problem is when selecting OK after adding the differential I get an error advising "The backup definition has an incremental or differential backup job that is enabled for GRT, but the full or copy backup job is not enabled for GRT".

I've searched through the Backup Options screen trying to figure out how to turn off GRT for the newly added differential but I'm missing it. Where is the setting to turn off GRT?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

This KB should help - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH224792

tech43
Level 4

Thanks for the quick response. The workaround in the tech article states "Add the incremental or differential template back to the schedule section to expose the removed sections of the job defaults view", however I am not seeing these removed sections, specifically: Active Directory, MS Exchange, VM's, MS SharePoint.

I have removed and re-added the differential template and still don't see these sections. 

lmosla
Level 6

Just a thought...Are these virtual machines? Have you checked your global settings under Configuration and Settings < Job Defaults and select Virtual Machines then make sure GRT isnt selected under Virtual Machine Application Granular Recovery Technology Settings

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Have you tried recreating the job itself ?

tech43
Level 4

No these are physical servers.

MitchR
Level 6

I am having the same issue.  This is a BE 2010 install that was freshly upgraded to the latest BE 2014.

Any jobs that the installer split into full & differential work fine.  Any jobs that got migrated as just a full - and I later go back and try to add a differential or incremental give this error.

The article was no help - I can't see GRT options anywhere on the jobs showing this issue.  Most of my servers are just plain Windows 2008 servers with no special agents.

I do not want to have to re-create jobs for my +110 servers.

StephenLiddell
Level 0

I had the same issue as other users here: I was unable to add a differential/incremental backup to a job that was migrated over from BE 2010 -> BE 2014. Whenever I attempted to add a new backup I got the "The backup definition has an incremental or differential backup job that is enabled for Granular Recovery Technology (GRT), but the full or copy backup  ob is not enabled for GRT" error as described in the support document on the Veritas support KB

Even after removing all GRT related settings from the default job options, I was still unable to add a differential/incremental backup to my job. I also found that if I created any new job, I was unable to add an incremental/differential backup to it without seeing this error.

My solution was to configure my job the way I wanted it in the default job options, and create a new job. As long as I didn't try to add any differential/incremental backups to the job that was created off of the default template, it would save OK. If I need to add an extra backup to a job or create a new job, I have to set the job up in the default job options, and then create a new job that inherits settings from the default.