cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to unshare a shared device (tape library)

Mgamerz
Level 3

We have a dual slot tape library that connects via SAS to our physical media server. It used to be attached to the back of a NAS that we would use the Linux Media Agent on it to backup. I ran an upgrade procedure to move the backup exec from one machine to another but now the tape drives (and apparently the disk storage too) has a hand icon under it and it shows it's shared with servers that don't exist anymore. 

As such we get Linux Media Server Option License Violations now (we have a license, but I'm going to let it expire). It's annoying to get this email every hour but I don't want to turn it off or I might miss something else (knowing this product, it won't be long...)

How do I tell Backup Exec to stop sharing this device. I do not need the Linux Media Server license anymore but I cannot figure a way out to tell it to stop sharing with a previous linux media server that no longer exists.

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...have you tried to remove it using the Device COnfiguration Wizard within BE itself? Otherwise remove the license...

THanks!

Mgamerz
Level 3

Device configuration wizard? You mean the "Configure Storage" option? I've never really seen this do anything except add more storage (or barcode rules/partition for tape libraries).

We are on BE2014 SP2. I don't see any options in the Configure Storage panel for removing shared storage. When I remove the license I get nagged every single hour in an email (so I know when the system has issues) that we need a Linux Server license, even though I have no linux servers in the backup/restore server list and I am no longer using any tape libraries connected a linux server. The tape library was moved to a SAS connection directly to the main media server on windows and they work fine. 

It's sharing both my disk space with the old server hostname as well as the tape library with the original linux server, and then the old windows media server that controlled it, and now the new server.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Do you have an option to delete the device by right-clicking it ? If yes, do so. Reboot the server and let Backup Exec then re-discover the devices.

Mgamerz
Level 3

Doing that makes me retarget all my jobs, and I have quite a few of them... Is this really the only way?

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I believe so. A convenient way to delete and retarget the jobs would be this :

1) Place all jobs on hold and ensure no jobs are running to the NAS storage.

2) Create a temporary Disk Storage on the BE media server.

3) Delete the NAS storage from Backup Exec. It will give an option to retarget all jobs to a different storage device. Choose the newly created, temporary Disk Storage.

4) Reconfigure the NAS storage using the Configure Storage wizard.

5) Delete the temporary Disk Storage and this time, retarget the jobs back to the newly configured NAS storage.