cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to upgrade agent BE for Windows without restarting the server.

ShoutDown
Level 3

On the server you want to update the agent on the server can not restart. How do I resolve this issue? So after the update service BackupExecAgentAccelerator does not start. Server is working 365/24/7.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Similar post - XXXXX

However, would recommend scheduling a downtime for a reboot as this may work just temporarily.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

VJware
Level 6

Similar post - XXXXX

However, would recommend scheduling a downtime for a reboot as this may work just temporarily.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Well, in order to effect the changes made to the remote agent, you have too. There is a way to fool the app into thinking it has been restarted via physical server restart, and while I've used it before to buy some time, the servers have ALWAYS been restarted...you will have to find proper downtime to do this in.

That is the recommendation.

CraigV

You can remove the entry below from the registry (do this on your own!):

Open the registry and search for a key called XXXXX and delete it before starting up the RAWS agent.

Remember, the server needs to be restarted...you need to find the time to do so.

Colin_Weaver

We have tried to reduce reboot requirements in the more recent BE versions , however as well as kernel level drivers (such as Client Side Dedup capability, OFO etc) we can often need to reboot if something like a .net update is needed. As the requirements can vary from individual computer to individual computer this is why we cannot say whether or not a reboot is needed until  you try it.

BTW it is not good practice to apply updates without reboots (to any software not just our agents) The reason why you should reboot after making changes is that if something goes wrong where the problem is only seen after a reboot, if you have made a small number of changes (or only 1)  it might be easier to troubleshoot or undo the change than if you have 2-3 months worth  of changes and then reboot and have a problem.

As such by all means try the info in VJware's link but you should plan a reboot sooner rather than later.

ShoutDown
Level 3

At the moment, Windows Server 2012 R2, with  SQL Server 2014 SP2, current agent version 14.1.1786 need update  to 14.2.1180. Reboot SQL server can not be in the next 60 days. What to do?

CraigV

You run the risk of the following:

* Backups completing with exceptions, and these would need to be investigated as it could render all, or some, of your backup set unrestorable;

* Backups succeeding, but with no guarantee they're accurate or if there are problems during the backup;

* Backups that fail <-- and that should be your concern.

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver

I'd recommend making sure your Backup Exec Server has FP2 installed so that when you patch the agent on your SQL server it is the latest patch as otherwise you will have to patch again and a 60 day lead time might prove annoying if you have to apply two sets of patches.

Also you may need to do some education with whoever is setting the lead times for changes  (including reboots) as we currently expect to release a set of patches approximately every 3 months which means you can expect to be doing change requests every 3 months to apply the latest updates.

ShoutDown
Level 3

TNX!
Delete XXXXXX helped!!!!

CraigV

Please remark my post with the registry key in it, as that was the post that helped and is an accurate reflection.

Thanks!

Nick_Elmer
Level 6
Employee

I disagree with the suggestion to remove the reboot keys from the registry. Doing so often will allow services to start with mismatched binaries. That can lead to untested results and unusual crashes! The installer only sets this key when patched files cannot be updated without a server restart. Following this suggestion is highly discouraged!  (Steps down from the soapbox)...

SkipStPierre
Level 3
Employee

This entire thread should be corrected and the details of the reg key be removed.  Nick has clearly shared the reasons for which this should not be done and only puts you at risk of a crash, and who knows what will happen from that point.

BnR Product Managment

Skip St. Pierre

ShoutDown
Level 3

I understand your concerns, in the Russian there is a phrase: if forbidden, but if you really need - if allowed!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Regardless of your nationality, you are always allowed to muck around with your backups.  Just be prepared to explain to your boss why there is no backup to restore when it is needed.

ShoutDown
Level 3

I checked everything:

1. Updated client
  2. Remove  key in registry
  3. Start Agent
  4. Created the test database,
  5. backup database,
  6. Delete  database,
  7. Restore database

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Did you check that every backup can be restored?  If not, how can you be sure that they are good?

Colin_Weaver

Based on the feedback from Nick Elmer and Skip St Pierre I have censored the exact registry key from this thread.

Please do not repost details of the key