cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use Tapes based on Slot Number ordering or Label ordering

pxtian
Level 4

Hi,

I have BE 2012 using an IBM ULT3580-HHD  tape drive and IBM 3573-TL library. Is there a way to have Backup Exec use the tapes based on Slot number?

Tapes.JPG

For example, make it start at Slot 1 and then proceed in ascending order until slot 20. Or, use the smallest value Barcode label then proceed to move in ascending order to the highest value. As you can see from the screenshot, it skipped the lowest slot number and lowest barcode value.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
If you are prepared to jump through a lots of loops and risk job failures, it is possible, but trust me, life is a lot easier if you don't. You should not be managing the tapes, let BE and the tape library do what they are design for. See my article below https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/must-mondays-backup-be-monday-tape

View solution in original post

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

To add to pkh's answer and article, Backup Exec uses a combination of availability and time based rules to decide on the next media to use. The decision is affected by serverside settings, media set controls and when tapes were used against when the current job needs a new one. Whilst you could probably get Backup Exec to use the tapes in order during the first week or so, it would be nearly impossible to keep this going over any kind of lengthy timeframe.

Hence agree with pkh, it is better to not try to keep the label naming in sequence.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified
If you are prepared to jump through a lots of loops and risk job failures, it is possible, but trust me, life is a lot easier if you don't. You should not be managing the tapes, let BE and the tape library do what they are design for. See my article below https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/must-mondays-backup-be-monday-tape

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

To add to pkh's answer and article, Backup Exec uses a combination of availability and time based rules to decide on the next media to use. The decision is affected by serverside settings, media set controls and when tapes were used against when the current job needs a new one. Whilst you could probably get Backup Exec to use the tapes in order during the first week or so, it would be nearly impossible to keep this going over any kind of lengthy timeframe.

Hence agree with pkh, it is better to not try to keep the label naming in sequence.

pxtian
Level 4

Guys,

As always, thanks for all your inputs!