cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use cleaning tape on Backup Exec 10d for Windows servers?

Malay_Thakershi
Level 2
Hi,

We have backup exec 10d running on a windows 2000 server. We use Dell DAT 72 tape drive with it. There is only one drive as we are a very small business.

It came with a cleaning tape as well. Today there was an alert in my backup exec and it said that the drive requires cleaning.

Can someone please guide me on how to do this? There is nothing listed under the robotic library node and the help that came with the software doesn't mention anything. I am not able to reach symantec support at all even though I have paid for a 1 year contract.

Please help.

Malay
5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
For a standalone drive you just insert the cleaning tape. The drive detects it as a cleaning tape and will make a pass and eject the tape. For a loader, define one slot as a cleaning slot, load the cleaning tape into it, and then submit a cleaning job.

Each cleaning tape should be used only as many times as recommended by the manufacturer (usually about 20). For standalone drives use the included label and check off one box each time you use it. When they are all checked, toss it and start using a new one. For a loader, you'll probably need to keep a manual log

Malay_Thakershi
Level 2
I am sorry but I didn't understand most of what you're saying.

When I insert the cleaning tape into the drive, nothing is detected in the backup exec application. The tape ejects in 5-10 seconds by itself.

Is there a step by step guide that shows how to use cleaning tapes? You said something about a cleaning job. How do I create one?

Appreciate your reply.

Malay

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You can only run a cleaning job for a tape drive in an autoloader. For stand alone drives, you just insert the tape, the activity light will blink for about a minute, then the tape will be ejected.

If the tape ejects in only 3-5 seconds, it is probably used up, and you need to purchase a new one

Malay_Thakershi
Level 2
Thanks for your quick response.

I haven't used the cleaning tape even once.

Malay

Chris_Lowthian
Level 3
I also use this media, 5-10 seconds should do it, so long as the clean me light went out you're fine.