cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use offsite duplicate backup set to restore server for DR

Kenneth_Lam
Level 4

I have setup CAS in site A and MMS in site B and both with enterprise option and deduplication option licensed. I have maken Full backup from MMS local deduplication storage and offsite duplicate to CAS deduplication storage.

Now, I would like to simulate the DR case for DR restoration. So, I shutdown the MMS and try to restore the server to new physical server or vMware on site A. In this situation, I can restore individual files from the backup set. But, would any one ask me how to restore the whole backup PC to another physical computer or VM? I have tried to create "Disaster Recovery Disk" but I cannot find my test backup PC  ("testwin7") on the list. Please see below screen capture.

Deduplication disk status.pngSDR Disk 32bit.pngSDR Disk 64bit.png

Would anyone can share your experience to me that what is your choice on this part? Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anyway, I have found out the solution that just burn the SDR disk without selection any select server on the list (Actually, nothing can let me to select....). Then, just select the "Duplicate" backup set to restore as below photo. Untitled.png

(In my case, I select the second entiry of the dulicate backup set to restore.)

Hope this can help anyone that are confusing in there.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Stephen_Kent
Level 4
Employee

I'm not sure off the top of my head why you aren't seeing the server to make a disaster recovery disk, but you don't need one to restore it. You can just install the OS and run the restore. I'm not 100% clear if this is a Backup Exec server or a server with a Remote Agent that you want to restore, but you'd need to install whichever one applies also after you install the OS.

Thank for your reply.

In my case, I want to restore a test server from the CAS server, where the backup set on CAS is duplicate from MMS via internet. Also, I would like to restore the test server using SDR disk as this is the reason why I select backup exec for my backup solution.

Anyway, I have found out the solution that just burn the SDR disk without selection any select server on the list (Actually, nothing can let me to select....). Then, just select the "Duplicate" backup set to restore as below photo. Untitled.png

(In my case, I select the second entiry of the dulicate backup set to restore.)

Hope this can help anyone that are confusing in there.