cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How would I schedule backup duplication to offsite target with 2012?

electricd7
Not applicable

Hello,

I have a Backup Exec 2012 installation which is responsible for backing up 80 physical servers.  I write these backups to locally attached disks to the local Backup Exec server.  I would like to create a stage in which the backups which are created are written to the local disk and upon completion are written to an offsite disk which I can mount via CIFS over a 1Gbps link.  I can't seem to figure out how to get this correct?  I would LOVE to do this without writing every bit every day (deduplication) but currently don't have that license and don't understand how I would use it.  Can anyone suggest a solution in which I can be sure that the backups written to the local disks get duplicated to offsite?  Thanks in advance!

ED7

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Here is a paper on optimised duplication which is what you should use when transfering data over a WAN link.

http://eval.symantec.com/mktginfo/enterprise/white_papers/backup_exec_dedupe_optimized_2010_WP_21158107.en-us.pdf

This setup will ensure only the additional data chunks are sent over the wire.

Since you do not have the necessary licences, you need to do the following

1) make sure the media server can see the disk at the remote site over the WAN link

2) add the BESA as a local admin of the disk with full read/write access to the entire disk

3) on the Storage tab, define a disk storage on the disk using its UNC path, i.e. \\server\share

4) edit your job and click on the Add A Stage button under the right-hand pane.  This will allow you to add a duplicate stage and target the disk storage on the remote disk.

Make sure you have sufficient bandwidth on your WAN link and that the link quality is good.  Otherwise, you are going to end up very frustrated with a lot of failed duplicate jobs.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Here is a paper on optimised duplication which is what you should use when transfering data over a WAN link.

http://eval.symantec.com/mktginfo/enterprise/white_papers/backup_exec_dedupe_optimized_2010_WP_21158107.en-us.pdf

This setup will ensure only the additional data chunks are sent over the wire.

Since you do not have the necessary licences, you need to do the following

1) make sure the media server can see the disk at the remote site over the WAN link

2) add the BESA as a local admin of the disk with full read/write access to the entire disk

3) on the Storage tab, define a disk storage on the disk using its UNC path, i.e. \\server\share

4) edit your job and click on the Add A Stage button under the right-hand pane.  This will allow you to add a duplicate stage and target the disk storage on the remote disk.

Make sure you have sufficient bandwidth on your WAN link and that the link quality is good.  Otherwise, you are going to end up very frustrated with a lot of failed duplicate jobs.