cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Howto Upgrade

fwolf
Level 4

Hello everybody,

is there any technical documentation or whitepaper or howto do the upgrade from BE 2010 R3 to BE 2012. I allready got the Iso and a valid license key.

I would be interested in how to transfer all settings to the new version.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

I split this off into its own discussion as the other query was for something else, and solved.

The upgrade is straight-forward, and you'd do the following:

1. Stop the BE services, and grab a copy of your Data and Catalogs folders. Stop your AV and disable during the upgrade if you can.

2. Burn the ISO to DVD/mount it, and run the upgrade.

3. It migrates the BEDB to the latest version, and at the end of it, asks if you want to revert. Only do so if there were errors, or you decide to roll back for whatever reason! Click Next, and the upgrade continues.

4. Once done, run LiveUpdate to download and install new patches, and then push-install the new agents out to any remote servers.

I did an upgrade on a test VM with no hassles doing the above steps.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26

CraigV

Hi,

I split this off into its own discussion as the other query was for something else, and solved.

The upgrade is straight-forward, and you'd do the following:

1. Stop the BE services, and grab a copy of your Data and Catalogs folders. Stop your AV and disable during the upgrade if you can.

2. Burn the ISO to DVD/mount it, and run the upgrade.

3. It migrates the BEDB to the latest version, and at the end of it, asks if you want to revert. Only do so if there were errors, or you decide to roll back for whatever reason! Click Next, and the upgrade continues.

4. Once done, run LiveUpdate to download and install new patches, and then push-install the new agents out to any remote servers.

I did an upgrade on a test VM with no hassles doing the above steps.

Thanks!

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

1) Stop SQL server BKUPEXEC service and make a copy of DATA and CATALOGS folder.

Above folders are located at X:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\

2) Run the setup.exe of BE2012 

3) After the installation is done BE2010 R3 BEDB will be upgraded to BE2012

4) Run live update and install hotfixes

5) Update remote agent too.

EDIT: Best Practice for BE2012 installation  http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO74426

Backup Exec 2012 Upgrade Guide http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH180232

fwolf
Level 4

Thanks a lot. I'll try it in a small environment next week.

fwolf
Level 4

Hello Amol,

when doing the upgrade to 2012 the installationprocess gives a warning message that the deduplication option is not licensed in this upgrade. The problem is that there wasn't installed a deduplication license on this server and I can't resume the upgrade process. How may I get the upgrade running?

EDIT: When I disable Backup Exec 2012 Mediaserver installation the Deduplication option is selected and can't be unchecked.

CraigV

Hi,

Open up BE itself and go to Tools --> Install Options and License Keys on this Media Server...

Run through the wizard and check and make sure that the dedupe option wasn't installed in trial mode for any reason. If so, remove the tick and let it complete.

Once done, run the upgrade again.

Thanks!

fwolf
Level 4

Hi Craig,

I allready did that. The option was never installed.

When I uncheck the license for Backup Exec 2012 I may proceed to the options configuration where I can't uncheck the Deduplication Option.

Will I run into problems when I proceed installing the server? May I uninstall the Deduplication Option afterwards? Does any other Part of the installation need this option?

CraigV

Hi,

If you deselect the license for BE 2012 you're not installing the media server which explains why it doesn't allow you to proceed.

If that error message is just a warning, then continue. Unless you have jobs targetted at a dedupe store, it won't matter. Upgrade, then try removing the option if it gives you any issues.

Thanks!

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Proceed with the installation. Later you may uninstall the dedup option. 

shabbaranks
Level 4

Hi,

I too am having the same problem as fwolf. Just tried to install Backupexec 2012 and I get the message that deduplication option is no longer licensed in this upgrade. Ive looked in the installed options for 2010 r3 and there's nothing related to deduplication there. Im unable to continue the

Why is this error coming up?  

CraigV

It's not an error, probably just a warning so you can ignore it. It should be like the warning you receive that the ADRA agent isn't installed which would aid you with Exchange backups/restores when upgrading to BE 2010...

shabbaranks
Level 4

Well its a warning in error then as I have checked within the tools options and deduplication was never and is not selected. So why is the upgrade telling me it is?

CraigV

...Asking the wrong person here wink

Maybe something that wasn't taken out of the software? Maybe they're trying to prompt you subtly that you should be using. I don't know...

shabbaranks
Level 4

Ive logged a call with Symantec on this so hopefully they will get back to me. Once they do I'll update this post. Im half tempted to remove 2010 r3 and do a fresh install but I dont want to be left with nothing on the server.

The error message doesnt make sense though as you cant proceed with the install, nor can you do as it suggests and remove any license files. Once you add the license file its there for good.

shabbaranks
Level 4

Just to update this, and if anyone has a simular problem. Im yet to test the solution fully from Symantec but... I recieved a call the solution was to add in the "Deduplication" option even if its not installed - install it. And then you can turn it off. In order to turn it off you have to change your activation of 2010 to trial otherwise the option is greyed out.

Once you have done this, restart your services and then close down 2010. From then you should be able to install 2012 - although I stopped at this stage as I want to start the upgrade out of hours.

Will feedback what I find once Ive completed the installation.

fwolf
Level 4

Hi Craig,

I got it running now. Simply proceeded the upgrade and afterwards uninstalled the deduplication option.

The old Backup-to-Disk folders haven't been ipmorted correctly. That sucks like the new design of 'storage'.

CraigV

Good stuff, although your B2Ds should have imported....open up your installation directory and run bemig.exe...check to see if anything else is migrated across.

Otherwise just recreate your B2D folders.

Everything has changed with BE 2012, which is why it was imperative to run a test installation.

fwolf
Level 4

With BE 2010 I was familiar with using one B2D-Folder per Backupjob. That's why I created several folders within one storage device. Right now I got 3 folders that are storage devices and some old backup-to-disk folders. May I created some folders under the storage devices or do I have to use one storage for all my jobs?

mdp23005
Level 3

I was experiencing the same message about the deduplication option. In my case, I had once installed it as a trial. Like others, it no longer appeared in my installed options. I made sure the PureDisk service was disabled then removed my backup-to-disk folder and finally removed the registry entry for HKLM\SOFTWARE\Symantec\PureDisk. I restarted my media server and was able to perform the upgrade to 2012.

Martin_Pawlett
Level 4

Deleting the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Symantec\PureDisk key also worked for me