cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Howto config vmware agent san backup?

plu34
Level 2
Hi I've setup backupexec 2010 and trying to do backup on my vcenter4 environment. I successfully backupded up using "Transport mode 'nbd'" but I want to use SAN transport mode.

Should I just present the vmfs luns to the windows backupexec server? And not install vcb or "other" type of proxy config.

I can't find this in the documentation and I'm think it's a little bit scary to let windows (2008r2) server get access to vmfs luns without config 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
I would say yes this is still a requirement on the Windows side.  If you write disk signatures or format the drives in windows the ESX will no longer be able to use the drives and you will have just lost any / all data on that LUN.

As for a whitepaper or howto guide on making the LUNs available to the windows machine, I would suggest getting in touch with your SAN provider.  They should be able to walk you through setting this up.  Just make sure that when the LUNs are presented and you see them in Windows disk manager they are marked as Online, otherwise you may have problems removing the snapshots after the backups are completed.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
To use the SAN transport mode the luns need to be presented and online on the backup exec server.  Do not mount them, make sure they don't have drive letters on the media server.

You don't need to install VCB or other proxy configurations.  Once the LUNs are visible on the media server you should be able to use the SAN transport mode.

plu34
Level 2
Thanks for that

In the old vcb-configuration howto there where this requirements just to not give windows access to write new signatures on the vmfs luns. Is this still a recuirement

diskpart automount disable 
diskpart automount scrub 

Is there a whitepaper or howto guide on this tasks. There are more people wondering
http://communities.vmware.com/message/1481684#1481684

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
I would say yes this is still a requirement on the Windows side.  If you write disk signatures or format the drives in windows the ESX will no longer be able to use the drives and you will have just lost any / all data on that LUN.

As for a whitepaper or howto guide on making the LUNs available to the windows machine, I would suggest getting in touch with your SAN provider.  They should be able to walk you through setting this up.  Just make sure that when the LUNs are presented and you see them in Windows disk manager they are marked as Online, otherwise you may have problems removing the snapshots after the backups are completed.