cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Howto use DataDomain for B2D with Backup Exec 2012

fwolf
Level 4

Hello,

there were some changes from Version 2010 to 2012 concerning the implementation aof B2D folders. Now I'm looking for the best way to use my existing DataDomain after Upgrade to Backup Exec 2012.

My problem is, that I have two Backup Exec media servers that have to connect to the same DataDomain. The upgrade process migrates the existing backup to disk folders but I can't create new ones with the old style. So I have to implement the DataDomain as a storage device like a local disk?

The compatibility list under http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH175582 told me the new 2012 version is still compatible to our DataDomain system.

Is there any information about how to implement this?

Regards

Florian Wolf

13 REPLIES 13

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It depends on how the DD is detected by BE 2012.  If it is detected as a fixed disk, then BE 2012 will define a Disk Storage on it.  If it is detected as a removable disk, then a Disk Cartridge Device is created.  The difference between the two types of storage is that Disk Storage is managed by DLM.

teiva-boy
Level 6

Does BE2012 not support CIFS B2D's anymore?  Thats all you should need is to create a CIFS share (which you already have) and use that as a target.

If using DDOS 5.0+, I would strongly recommend you use MTREE's and create one for each media server.

fwolf
Level 4

Our DD is connect with the backup server by network. With version 2010 I'm using CIFS shares on that machine.

I had a look at the administrators handbook. It tells me that storage can be connected by NDMP. But NDMP is rubbish because I can't restore data to a disk of windows or Linux servers. I would always have to restore it to an NDMP connected system.

Is it possible to mount the network storage as a disk with 'net use' and then use it like a local disk?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No.  A mapped disk is associate with an online session.  BE runs as batch and would not be able to use mapped disk.

If your disk support iSCSI, you can attached it as a local drive to the media server.

teiva-boy
Level 6

DataDomain ONLY supports CIFS/NFS/VTL over FC.  It is NOT a block based device.  

Same goes for most all other OST devices.  It's NAS not DAS in almost all cases.  Except for some that offer VTL over FC.

Looking at this link, the 3rd to the last bullet point alludes to network based shares and having to use a disk wizard

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO74448

While BackupExec calls it "Disk-Based Storage," I think it's just nomenclature more than anything.  You can use fastcopy within DD if you need to, to move files around as needed with a new directory structure.  Again, look into mtrees they are a big improvement in your case.

In the Admin Guide, jump to page 307 (Chap 9).  It has all you need to know:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC5211

fwolf
Level 4

Thank you teiva-boy. That's what I was looking for.

The DD670 can't do iSCSI so I have to use NDMP. On my first BE 2012 server I don't have the NDMP Option licensed so I can't see the 'NDMP servers' option within the Configure Storage Wizard under 'network storage'.

But will I be able to redirect restore data to the local disk of my media server?

teiva-boy
Level 6

Unless you are backing up a NAS, you do not need the NDMP option in BackupExec.

You shouldn't need any option from Symantec to backup to the DdataDomain from a CIFS share.

fwolf
Level 4

I do not want to backup the datadomain. I want to place my backup to disk folders on a cifs share on my datadomain.

teiva-boy
Level 6

Like I said...  "You shouldn't need any option from Symantec to Backup TO the DataDomain from a CIFS Share."  

I didn't say "Backup THE DataDomain."

NDMP is for backup up NAS filers like NetApp, EMC, etc.  

Just re-read the manual as I mentioned, Chapter 9 has what you are looking for.

Moltron1
Level 5

I've got a DD630, and BE2012 backups up to that over network CIFS with no problem.  I would think the Data Domain would act like any other CIFS share to backup exec. 

You can get DDBoost license for the Data Domain, and then you could follow the directions for adding an OpenStorage device to BE.

My DD runs on 5.0.2.3.  I thought somewhere along the way with the upgrades, your stuff got converted to MTREE anyways?

teiva-boy
Level 6

You have to manually convert I beleive.  But it can be done from the GUI.  There is also a new 5.1 release as well.

Moltron1
Level 5

Ohh cool, I'll check out the new version.  My DD is fairly new.  Might have had it in MTREE from the get-go.  Only had to upgrade it once so far.

fwolf
Level 4

I installed a virtual machine for testing.

The option I was looking for is 'Disk storage' und 'Disk-based storage'. Here I'm able to create several storages on different folders of my DD acting as NAS.

Page 146 in the BEADmin_en Guide (http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC5211:(

Disk storage
A location on a locally attached internal
hard drive, a USB device, a FireWire
device, or a NAS (network-attached
storage) device.
See “About disk storage” on page 307.