cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hyper V Back up Failed

fez7860
Level 3

Hello, I am now getting the following errors when i am trying to back up a Hyper V server on Symantec Backup Exec 15

Job ended: Friday, January 04, 2019 at 5:06:39 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000ff18 - A communications failure has occurred with a Virtual Machine resource.
Final error category: Resource Errors
For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65304

Backup- VRTSRV::\\smhg-hv01\Hyper-V?Virtual?Machine\SMHG-FILE1V-79-57344-65304 - The Virtual Machine resource is not responding. Backup set canceled

Backup- smhg-hv01V-79-40960-38525 - The faster processing method for incremental backups was selected for Hyper-V virtual machine 'SMHG-FILE1'. However, that method could not be performed because either Backup Exec did not perform the previous backup or because that virtual machine is backed up with more than one backup job. Because the option 'Use the full backup method for virtual machines that do not support incremental or differential backups' was selected for this job, a full backup ran instead of an incremental backup.

Backup- VRTSRV::\\smhg-hv01\Hyper-V?Virtual?Machine\SMHG-FILE1V-79-57344-38732 - Virtual machine 'SMHG-FILE1' does not meet the requirements necessary for Backup Exec to restore individual application items. You cannot perform GRT-enabled restores of application data from this backup.

V-79-40960-38528 - The Hyper-V subsystem has reported that the Hyper-V Integration Services (HIS) inside the virtual machine do not match the version expected by the Hyper-V host.  An offline backup of this virtual machine has been performed, update the Hyper-V Integration Services to ensure online backups can be performed whenever possible.

How can i fix this?

Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11

Ben-Veritas
Level 4
Employee

Start out by running the powershell script in Issue 2 of this technote to check the status of the technote.

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH216944

I tried running the script but its not working...

$vm_name = "SMHG-FILE1.SMHG.LOCAL"
$vm = gwmi -namespace root\virtualization -query "select * from Msvm_ComputerSystem where ElementName = '$vm_name'"
gwmi -namespace root\virtualization -query "Select * from Msvm_VssComponent where SystemName = '$($vm.Name)'"

Are you getting an error or any sort of response?  It helps when we know what is happening to be able to assist in problems.

Make sure you are running the script on the Hyper-V host in an Elevated (run as administrator) powershell session.

Here are my results below.. I am still getting the communication error and everything seems right from my view...

Backup- VRTSRV::\\smhg-hv01\Hyper-V?Virtual?Machine\SMHG-FILE1V-79-57344-65304 - The Virtual Machine resource is not responding. Backup set canceled.

__GENUS                     : 2
__CLASS                     : Msvm_VssComponent
__SUPERCLASS                : CIM_LogicalDevice
__DYNASTY                   : CIM_ManagedElement
__RELPATH                   : Msvm_VssComponent.CreationClassName="Msvm_VssComponent",DeviceID="Microsoft:5CED1297-4598
                              -4915-A5FC-AD21BB4D02A4",SystemCreationClassName="Msvm_ComputerSystem",SystemName="46FBFD
                              FD-F455-4F97-9B66-0FE45794FB74"
__PROPERTY_COUNT            : 38
__DERIVATION                : {CIM_LogicalDevice, CIM_EnabledLogicalElement, CIM_LogicalElement,
                              CIM_ManagedSystemElement...}
__SERVER                    : SMHG-HV01
__NAMESPACE                 : root\virtualization\v2
__PATH                      : \\SMHG-HV01\root\virtualization\v2:Msvm_VssComponent.CreationClassName="Msvm_VssComponent
                              ",DeviceID="Microsoft:5CED1297-4598-4915-A5FC-AD21BB4D02A4",SystemCreationClassName="Msvm
                              _ComputerSystem",SystemName="46FBFDFD-F455-4F97-9B66-0FE45794FB74"
AdditionalAvailability      : {6}
Availability                : 6
AvailableRequestedStates    :
Caption                     : VSS
CommunicationStatus         :
CreationClassName           : Msvm_VssComponent
Description                 : Microsoft VSS Service
DetailedStatus              :
DeviceID                    : Microsoft:5CED1297-4598-4915-A5FC-AD21BB4D02A4
ElementName                 : VSS
EnabledDefault              : 7
EnabledState                : 2
ErrorCleared                :
ErrorDescription            :
HealthState                 : 5
IdentifyingDescriptions     :
InstallDate                 : 20181215142253.522606-000
InstanceID                  :
LastErrorCode               :
MaxQuiesceTime              :
Name                        : VSS
OperatingStatus             :
OperationalStatus           : {2, 32775}
OtherEnabledState           :
OtherIdentifyingInfo        :
PowerManagementCapabilities :
PowerManagementSupported    :
PowerOnHours                :
PrimaryStatus               :
RequestedState              : 12
Status                      :
StatusDescriptions          : {OK, The protocol version of the component installed in the virtual machine does not
                              match the version expected by the hosting system}
StatusInfo                  :
SystemCreationClassName     : Msvm_ComputerSystem
SystemName                  : 46FBFDFD-F455-4F97-9B66-0FE45794FB74
TimeOfLastStateChange       :
TotalPowerOnHours           :
TransitioningToState        : 12
PSComputerName              : SMHG-HV01

StatusDescriptions          : {OK, The protocol version of the component installed in the virtual machine does not
                              match the version expected by the hosting system}

I would start with getting the integration components updated to match the host.  Normally can be done via LiveUpdate on the VM itself.

Liveupdate as in Windows update?

Sorry yes, Windows Update.

You want to make sure that the integration components are always the same version as the host otherwise there can be problems with checkpoints (snapshots) taking VM's offline during the backup.

Hello,

So i did the update. I ran the Script and the status description is set to OK.
I ran windows update on the VM (its a 2008 R2 server)

Checked this morning and the backup still failed.

Errors
Click an error below to locate it in the job log
Backup- VRTSRV::\\smhg-hv01\Hyper-V?Virtual?Machine\SMHG-FILE1V-79-57344-65304 - The Virtual Machine resource is not responding. Backup set canceled.

Backup- smhg-hv01V-79-40960-38525 - The faster processing method for incremental backups was selected for Hyper-V virtual machine 'SMHG-FILE1'. However, that method could not be performed because either Backup Exec did not perform the previous backup or because that virtual machine is backed up with more than one backup job. Because the option 'Use the full backup method for virtual machines that do not support incremental or differential backups' was selected for this job, a full backup ran instead of an incremental backup.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Try running a full backup before running the incremental backup

every time it ried doing a Full back up when it hits 249 GB its asking me to insert an overwriteable media into the drive however I erase the media before starting the backup and the tape is 6TB.

any suggestions?

ok, i tried to run a fullback up and this is what i get..

BackupV-79-57344-65304 - The Virtual Machine resource is not responding. Backup set canceled.