cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hyper-V Backups Not Capturing VHD Files

PBAITServices
Level 2

We recently upgraded Backup Exec from 2012 to 2014. Since then we've noticed that our Hyper-V backups, while claiming to be successful, are capturing everything except VHD files. Our Hyper-V environment is a cluster that runs on Windows Server 2012.

Of note: while the selection list under ClusterStorage is properly checked (including the VHDs), no VMs shos up under 'Microsoft Hyper-V HA Virtual Machines.'

I haven't been able to find much that helps - any suggestions??

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

lmosla
Level 6

Hi,

under the hvcluster is the Microsoft Hyper-V HA node selected?  Try a backup with only this selected.

PBAITServices
Level 2

hvcluster.PNG

Yes, the Microsoft Hyper-V HA node is selected. If I try to run a backup with just that selected, the job fails with the following error: Final error: 0xe000942a - Backup Exec did not find any resources to include in the backup. Check the backup selections for this job to make sure it includes resources that are available for backup.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Per the screenshot, it looks like no VMs are available under the HA node.

Ideally, you should be selecting the VMs from the HA node only and not the ClusterStorage path.

Would you confirm if the BE account has full rights to the Cluster and the individual nodes (Use the Hyper-V Cluster Manager for setting this up). Also, the BE account should be part of the local admins on all nodes. The Remote Agent must be installed on all nodes as well.

PBAITServices
Level 2

Correct, there are no VMs showing up under the HA node.

I have confirmed that:

• The BE account has full rights to the cluster
  • The BE account is a member of the Administrators group on each node
  • The Remote Agent has been installed on all Hyper-V nodes

VJware
Level 6

Try reinstalling the Agent for Hyper-V & VMware license. And re-add the virtual node to the Backup & Restore's list of servers.

PBAITServices
Level 2

I have reinstalled the Agent for VMware & Hyper-V on the BE media server and re-added all nodes of the cluster within Backup Exec. Has not alleviated the problem, though.

VJware
Level 6

Would recommend to log a formal support case so that we can have a look @ the setup.