cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hyper-V Host and Virtual Machines

Diego_Nunez
Level 3
Buenas tardes, este es el pequeño entorno que tenemos en nuestra empresa y el cual necesito hacer backup.

1 Hyper-V Host (Windows Server 2008 R2 64)
7 Virtual machines (contenidas en el host anterior)
Veritas Backup Exec 2012 V-ray con los agentes para Active Directory, Exchange Server, SQL, Sharepoint.

Estoy un poco confundido. Debo hacer backup de cada una de las virtuales por separado y tambien del host? o puedo hacer backup completo del host, incluidas las virtuales.
A la hora de recuperar, cual es el esquema que me permite recuperacion granular?, me refiero a la posibilidad de recuperar un objeto determinado de active directory, bases de datos SQL, un determinado correo electronico, etc ?¿?¿

Disculpen por mi escaso conocimiento de Ingles y el escaso conocimiento sobre Backup Exec 2012, recientemente lo hemos adquirido y estamos comenzando de a poco. :)
Saludos
Diego
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The easiest way to backup your machines is to do a full backup of the host which will include all the VM's. If you have enabled GRT, then you can do GRT restores of individual items of files/folders, AD, Exchange and SQL databases.  See my article below on how to do so.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-individual-filesfolders-vm-backup

Note that GRT restores of Sharepoint is not supported.  You would have to backup your Sharepoint farm separately.

If you are using tapes, then make sure you have sufficient disk space because the VM image is staged to disk before the restore begins.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Diego_Nunez
Level 3

Ohhh Sorry, lets Google Translate do its JOB :p

Good afternoon, this is the small environment we have in our company and which need to backup. 

1 Hyper-V Host (Windows Server 2008 R2 64) 
7 Virtual machines (contained in the previous host) 
Veritas Backup Exec 2012 V-Ray with agents for Active Directory, Exchange Server, SQL, Sharepoint. 

I'm a little confused. I have to backup each virtual separately and also the host? or I can make full backup of the host, including virtual. 
When recovered, which is the scheme that allows me granular recovery?, I mean the ability to retrieve a particular object of active directory, SQL databases, a particular email, etc?? 

Sorry for my poor knowledge of English and limited knowledge on Backup Exec 2012, we have recently acquired and are starting slowly. :) 
regards 
Diego

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The easiest way to backup your machines is to do a full backup of the host which will include all the VM's. If you have enabled GRT, then you can do GRT restores of individual items of files/folders, AD, Exchange and SQL databases.  See my article below on how to do so.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-individual-filesfolders-vm-backup

Note that GRT restores of Sharepoint is not supported.  You would have to backup your Sharepoint farm separately.

If you are using tapes, then make sure you have sufficient disk space because the VM image is staged to disk before the restore begins.

Diego_Nunez
Level 3
Pkh thank you very much for your help and response. I tried to do a full backup of the HOST. As the work is running on the host, the virtual machines start to be created. But once the full backup completed HOST does not allow me to recover, for example, an item of active directory, and works in virtual machines are displayed as never made​​. 
Surely I'm doing something wrong. 
What would be the steps for a granular recovery after a full backup of hyperv HOST? 
Thank you very much! 
Diego

Diego_Nunez
Level 3

Crap, i read the article, ill try to do those steps and ill comment !!!!!

in case you want to perform a restore of an active directory item would be done the same way?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Yes

Diego_Nunez
Level 3

pkh its me again, i intalled windows backup exec agent in all virtuals, but after perform a host full backup it shows me some machines as physical while others displayed as virtual

what could be happening?

Thank you friend!!!

virtuales.png

Diego_Nunez
Level 3

Thank you very much pkh your tutorial worked fantastic!!!