cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hyper-V : Number of volumes reverted does not match

KnowledgeSeeker
Level 2

Hi,

I have Backup Exec 16 running on Windows Server 2012 which also hosts a Hyper-V VM. All drives including the VM have Bitlocker encryption.The backup backs up the whole server including the VM to tape. When ever I run the backup I get the Backup Exec message.

V-79-40960-38521 - Snapshot Technology: Initialization failure on: "VRTSRV::\\serverName.domain.com\Hyper-V?Virtual?Machine\VMName". Snapshot technology used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

A virtual machine snapshot could not be created.  Use the Event Viewer on the Hyper-V host to identify the cause.  If the virtual machine is not properly configured, it may be necessary to use the Event Viewer in the virtual machine to identify the cause.

The event log gives Error Id 10112 and says :

The number of volumes reverted does not match the number of volumes in the snapshot set for virtual machine 'VMName' (Virtual machine ID xxxxxx).

Please can you tell me the problem and how can I fix it. :)

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified

BE does not handle encrypted volumes.  You would have to decrypt them before you can back them up.

Thanks for your reply.

Is this a limitation with Windows Server 2012 or BE16? If I upgraded the back up software or OS can I get around this?

The weird thing is I did manage to get the backup to "succeed" once. The first backup errored with the integration services versions not matching and BE falling back to an offline backup of the VM. Though I haven't tested restoring this so maybe it didn't really work.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

BE CANNOT backup any encrypted volumes.