cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hyper-V VM Incrementals same size as full

gpn43
Level 3

Hello,

My hyper-v VM incremental backups are the same size as my full backups. The backups are going through the hyper-V host, they have GRT enabled, unticked box to run VM as full if inc is not supported, and verified agent is installed on host and VM's. BE2014 server is 2008r2, and Hyper-V host and VM's are 2008r2. Not really sure what else to try here, and I was told my symantec that this would work properly. I do not want to do agent based backups on these VM's. See attachment for picture of storage. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jurgen_barbieur
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited

have a compare between the job log of the full backup and the joblog of an incremental backup.

if I take a look in the job-log you provided, I see 3 backup sizes, and if I sum them together, the result is approx. 16 GB, which possibly is the size of an incremental. In the picture you show it just give the title "SIZE". 

Maybe there is some problem in backupexec not showing the correct size in your backupsets summary.

open a case at symantec to have a better look on this issue

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

jurgen_barbieur
Level 6

Is the sizing exactly the same or almost the same?

because of the unticked box to run full if inc is not supported, if this was the issue the job has to fail. Because of a successfull backup it seems that he does run a inc backup. 

can you attach the job log? I think the log will tell us if it is a full or incr backup.

gpn43
Level 3

And in answer to your question - the sizing is the exact same.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I would recommend to log a formal support case so that we can review the debug logs to figure out why the incremental is being processed as a full.

jurgen_barbieur
Level 6

have a compare between the job log of the full backup and the joblog of an incremental backup.

if I take a look in the job-log you provided, I see 3 backup sizes, and if I sum them together, the result is approx. 16 GB, which possibly is the size of an incremental. In the picture you show it just give the title "SIZE". 

Maybe there is some problem in backupexec not showing the correct size in your backupsets summary.

open a case at symantec to have a better look on this issue

gpn43
Level 3

Job log attached from last night. It appears that is is running an incremental. However, would it have anything to do with BE not reading the .VHD file correctly or detecting changes within that? I think it is just detecting a change in the .VHD and then taking a full backup of it again.

Agent based backups are working correctly, its just the VM's that are having problems with incrementals. 

Thanks!

gpn43
Level 3

I will open a case. Thank you.