cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hyper-V VM backup problem

SymQNA
Level 5

I encountered below hyper-v VM backup error. Support told me that it is because some writer are missing in result of command "vssadmin list writers", like 'Microsoft Hyper-V VSS Writer'.

Anyone knows why the writer is missing on hyper-v server, how to check the cause?

Backup- ServerName.ABC.comV-79-57344-34070 - Snapshot Technology: Initialization failure on: "VRTSRV::\\ServerName.ABC.com\Hyper-V?Virtual?Machine\VM1". Snapshot technology used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

Snapshot technology error (0xE0008516): The database specified for the snapshot was not backed up because the database was not mounted.

Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

V-79-57344-34070 - Snapshot Technology: Initialization failure on: "VRTSRV::\\ServerName.ABC.com\Hyper-V?Virtual?Machine\VM2". Snapshot technology used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

Snapshot technology error (0xE0008516): The database specified for the snapshot was not backed up because the database was not mounted.

Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

BE version : BE15 FP3

Host server: Windows 2012

VM: Windows server 2008 standard SP2

4 REPLIES 4

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If running vssadmin list writers (using a Run as Admin command prompt) on a Hyper-V host does not list the presence of any Hyper-V VSS writers then really your questiosn is for Microsoft as we just use VSS we don't install it (as it is an OS/File System function)

If you are talking about inside the VM itself then have you installed the Hyper-V integration tools into the guest VM?

SymQNA
Level 5

Hi Symantec support,

If backup technique requires 'Microsoft Hyper-V VSS Writer' for backup , if backup failed due to it is missing you should be able to check what service is required to be running to ensure backup can run successfully, right?  In OS level, we think the server is running without problem. But for backup usage, what should we check on Windows platform?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

We use VSSADMIN after that we suggest you speak to Microsoft (or the vendor responsible for whichever VSS writer/provider is missing.)

PasHD
Not applicable

I have this same issue except my VM is an exchange VM. I have the integration services installed, no writers have errors, I have tried with/without GRT, no AOFO, and I still get this exact error when it tries to backup the entire VM.

Should I start a new thread?