cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hyper-V backup fails with VSS writer error

RoddersB
Level 4

Hi,

I am running a series of backups of Hyper-V machines using Backup Exec 2010 R2 on Windows Server 2008 R2 (with Hyper-V agent of course !) but one machine (which is an Exchange 2010 server on Windows Server 2008 R2) has been consistently failing with the error below ;

"BackupV-79-57344-65233 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "VRTSRV::\\UKEGVM2.ukcard.local\Hyper-V?Virtual?Machine\ukegecn". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

Snapshot provider error (0xE000FED1): A failure occurred querying the Writer status.

Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

Writer Name: Microsoft Hyper-V, Writer ID: {66841CD4-6DED-4F4B-8F17-FD23F8DDC3DE}, Last error: The VSS Writer failed, but the operation can be retried (0x800423f3), State: Waiting for backup complete notification (5)."

This backup has worked in the past but has now started to fail every time. I have checked VSSADMIN LIST WRITERS and none show with any errors. The server has been rebooted since these errors have started but made no difference. There is nothing in the Event Viewer different from what Backup Exec is telling me.

Your advices on where to go next and how to fix this issue would be greatly received.

Brian.

1 REPLY 1

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Have you checked the below article.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH69691