cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hyper-V backup - not enough disk space for snapshot. Backup Exec 2010

knightstorm1
Level 3

Can the Hyper-v backup be configured to put the VM in saved state rather than try to create a snapshot? At this time I do not have enough available space for a full snapshot of the VMs.

8 REPLIES 8

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Nope, it's going to use VSS to do the snapshot.

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I haven't tested this, but worth a try.

If the VM doesn't have Integration Services installed or is not in a running state, then it is put in a saved state for an offline backup & I don't think offline backups are vss snapshot backups.

knightstorm1
Level 3

I'll have to test this using a test VM and see how it works if no one has a definite answer. I'm hoping that the machine can be put in a saved state, backed up, and restarted.   Unfortunately, my test Hyper-v hosts are running server 2012, so I will have to use a production machine as my test host.

CraigV

Hi,

This amounts to downtime...why not consider buying the necessary disk in order to have free space for snapshots, and keep your VMs up and online during backups?

Thanks!

knightstorm1
Level 3

If I had the disk space I would't be asking the question. We can afford the downtime once a week/ month and use the regular windows agent to back  up the file changes in between.  The Server 2012 host machines already have enough disk, but I can't back them up yet and I need a good backup before I can shut down the host to add disk.

I just set up a WinXP test machine with integration components, so I should have an answer soon. 

knightstorm1
Level 3

The hyper-v backup consumes disk space on the hyper-v host even if the VM is turned off or saved so I will need another way to back up the VMs until I can get more disk.  The disk consumed is less than half of the disk space used on the VM, so I may be able to get away with my limited disk - I wish there were better guidelines on this.  I am not seeing a Hyper-v snapshot created for the VM id the machine is running when it is being backed up.

Another problem - Installing the Hyper-v agent on the hyper-v host ended up installing another media server on the Hyper-v host even though it was not selected on install. 

CraigV

...I would say use the RAWS agents, but this will still do a VSS snapshot. Whether or not it fills up your remaining disk space everytime is something you need to test.

Thanks!

knightstorm1
Level 3

That's an interesting catch-22.  I can't add disk until the existing system is backed up and the system can't be backed up until I add more disk.  I could also export the vm and move it to my server 2012 host where I have plenty of disk and hope I don't need to back it up until server 2012 is supported.  At least there are options.