cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hyper-V host based GRT backup of Exchange 2013 and Checkpoints

Simon_Lovatt
Level 3

Hi

We have a Windows Server 2012 R2 with the Hyper-V role and a virtual Exchange 2013 (Mailbox and CAS on same machine) We are running Backup Exec 15 on a 2012 R2 server with the Backup Exec agent for Hyper-V. 

At the moment we are doing a host level full backup in the evening with the Exchange application GRT enabled  followed by an incremental host level backup at 12:00 midday.  The backup exec windows agent is installed on both the hyper-V host and the Exchange server.

Two Questions

1\ When the jobs run we notice that a Hyper-V checkpoint is quickly created then deleted prior to the backup being performed.

This is a concern since we have read in several places that checkpoints are not recommended for virtual machines that host exchange! 

2\ Would it be better to treat the Exchange guest as a physical server with respect to doing full and incremental backups of the exchange information store.

Followed by a nightly host level backup of the virtual exchange but without the application level GRT

Any recommendations would be appreciated .

Thanks

Simon

ExchangeBE15 Checkpoint.png

6 REPLIES 6

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

These snapshots are not a problem since these VSS-based snapshots contain application aware VSS writers (such as the Exchange VSS writer) and log consistency is maintained.

This hot (online) backup is a standard process used by pretty much all available backup applications.

Recommended backup method of a VM (Application server or a file server) is to use the Hyper-V (or VMware Agent) instead of treating the VM as a physical machine.

Simon_Lovatt
Level 3

Hi VJ

I'm confused when the job runs it clearly creates a Hyper-V Checkpoint (See image) why is this if its a VSS snapshot that is being used.

Thanks

Simon.

VJware
Level 6

This is expected behavior to view the Checkpoint temporarily in the Hyper-V manager.

Afaik, Checkpoint is just a new nomenclature for Snapshots for Hyper-V hosts running Win 2012 R2. Older versions of Hyper-V host also displayed the temporary snapshot in the UI. Taking a checkpoint(s) and keeping it isn't recommended, but not when the checkpoint is created for temporary purpose as in this case. This temporary checkpoint isn't applied or kept around for a long duration, just used for a VM backup.

Verbatim from a MS article https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn798286.aspx

We recommend that you back up your virtual machines from the host. If the backup application is compatible with Hyper-V and the Hyper-V Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) writer, the virtual machines can be backed up and brought back online quickly. This type of backup includes:

• Configuration information

• Checkpoints/snapshots

• Virtual hard disks

Simon_Lovatt
Level 3

Hi VJ

Thanks that explains it .Sorry can I pick your brains one last time? With regards to full and incremental exchange database backups from the host its a shame that the databases cannot be individually selected for backup.  So what if a full host based backup of the exchange was done on a nightly basis with the exchange application GRT selected and then several incremental database backups from the virtual machine during the day.

The only reason I'm saying this is that we haven't put the exchange into production it only has 10 test mailboxes on it yet it takes for host based backups 1.5 Hours  (Full backup & Catalog rate 3,690MB/min  ) 1.2 Hours (Incremental & Catalog rate 399MB/min)

The backups are done via a 10Gb SAN so pretty much running as fast as they can.

Regards

Simon

VJware
Level 6

So what if a full host based backup of the exchange was done on a nightly basis with the exchange application GRT selected and then several incremental database backups from the virtual machine during the day.

I am assuming the incrementals would also be host-based with App-GRT on ? If yes, then its fine. GRT-based incrementals are usually slower than the fulls due to the extra processing involved. Though there might be certain bottlenecks contributing towards the slower throughput. If the Exchange VM is backed up as a physical machine using the remote agent, is there a major difference in throughput ?

Simon_Lovatt
Level 3

Hi VJ

I've yet to try the backup as if the exchange is a physical machine so I'll let you know the results when I've tried it.

The intention was to have host based with APP-GRT for the nightly full backup and then incremental jobs in the daytime but treating the exchange like a physical machine for the incremental jobs which hopfully would be faster since only the exchange databases would be selected.

Thanks

Simon