cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hyper-V server backup VSS errors

Swunder
Level 2
We 3 Hyper-V hosts on Windows Datacenter 2008, 2 of which backup fine.  The 3rd fails, throwing a VSS error for every virtual guest.  The ~20 guests themselves do not show VSS errors or anything else of note in the event viewer.

The failing host shows constant VSS warnings in the event viewer:

Volume Shadow Copy Warning: The provider has reported a storage identifier that is not supported by VSS.                  Codeset:     1                  Type:          5                  Size:           4                  NextOffset:  24                  Association: 1  This identifier will be skipped by VSS.                 

Context:
   Examining Detected Volume: Arrival - \\?\STORAGE#Volume#1&19f7e59c&0&Signature4D823883Offset100000Length5780700000#{53f5630d-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}

The backup log errors are the same for every guest:

AOFO: Initialization failure on: "VRTSRV::\\VH4.tesc.edu\Hyper-V?Virtual?Machine\actidx". Advanced O...

V-79-10000-11217
- VSS Snapshot error. The Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot failed. Make sure tha...The following volumes are dependent on resource: "E:" .

I assume this is a VSS issue on the host?  I have registered the .dll's and the VSSADMIN LIST WRITERS command shows everything is OK.   One thing I haven't tried is restarting the host... because that is no easy task...
0 REPLIES 0