cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hyper-V server with 140gb "catalog" every night

Mark522010
Level 2

Just installed 2014 (14.1) and am trying it out on my Windows2012R2 hyper-V server.

The server itself is unchanged, the virtuals inside don't have much going on but I am getting a 16gb incremental backup each night and then a 140gb "catalog" every night.

Can anyone help with what is going on and how I can change this behaviour before I run out of space? I can't handle a tb per week of "incrementals"

Mark

3 REPLIES 3

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I suspect if you look at your disk usage that it has not used 140GB and that it is some kind of cosmetic/display condition. Could be an idea to log a formal support case for us to take a proper look at it.

EDIT: Possibly of more concern is that failed Incremental that does not seem to be followed by a full. This might make the following incrementals as potential suspects for being unreliable and you should run a full ASAP

Lothar_Müller
Level 5
Partner Accredited

I think the size is correct, because Backup Exec has to reasembly the chain of inkrements to create a catalog of the incremental. Hyper-V increments are blockdata, which cannot be read without reasambling the whole chain of increments.

So it has to go through the whole 140GB to create it.

If this was helpful please mark this as solution.

Mark522010
Level 2

<sarcasm>great</sarcasm>

I am going to ask Symantec if this is actual disk used on my backup drives or space used inside the database or some kind of fake number.

If its real, I suspect I won't be able to use the fancy new virtual backup process as I can't handle that amount of data in either place... hmmm, 5 virtuals @140gb per night = 5tb per week of either disk or database/index