cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I/O device error

steeve_p
Level 4
We moved our BE to a new server. We are having a SCSI array attached to the new server, which is where we planned to save our backups. We have the Backup-to-Disk Folders setup. The first inventory on any Backup-to-Disk folder is successful. If I try to run a job to the folder it just stays queued so I'll have to cancel. If I do a test run, it is successful. But If I do an inventory again, it gives an error,The request cud not be performed b'coz of and I/O device error. When we back up to this array from the other server, it backed up those jobs properly. Drive letter is 'E' for the array of the new server. If we point a Backup-to-Disk folder to a local drive which is installed in the server such as D drive, it runs without any issue. It's size is 9 TB and It is a Promise array. Any help on this issue will be highly apriciated. Thanks

Steeve
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

shirmal
Level 5
Hi Steeve,

Just try this,

Go to the Devices tab on the top of the screen, right click on each Backup-to-Disk folder on the array that is directly connected to the server running Backup Exec, and click on properties.  When that window opened up, click on the advanced tab, and under device settings,  uncheck "Auto detect settings" and check both "Buffered reads" and "Buffered writes".  After doing this, it should begin saving all the backups that have been chosen to that directly attached array on the same server.
Hope this helps

---Cheers

shirmal

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Steeve,

Here's a link first off that explains the B2D Test Tool which you should download and try. It should be the first step in your troubleshooting:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/321584.htm

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/327088.htm (B2D Test Tool x32)
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/327089.htm (B2D Test Tool x64).

It is probably just a configuration error on the local server, rather than the array itself, especially if you can backup to it from the remote server.
After running the B2D Test Tool, try running a small job to a newly created B2D folder and see if it runs. If it does, open up your backup job and make sure it's directed to the correct B2D folder.

Let mw know how it goes...

Marksw
Level 5
Had this problem on a few Dell Servers, updating the firmware on the PERC controller and tape device seemed to sort it.
Not much to go on but it might be a good start if you haven't already tried updating the Assay/SCSI Devices Firmware.

Mark

shirmal
Level 5
Hi Steeve,

Just try this,

Go to the Devices tab on the top of the screen, right click on each Backup-to-Disk folder on the array that is directly connected to the server running Backup Exec, and click on properties.  When that window opened up, click on the advanced tab, and under device settings,  uncheck "Auto detect settings" and check both "Buffered reads" and "Buffered writes".  After doing this, it should begin saving all the backups that have been chosen to that directly attached array on the same server.
Hope this helps

---Cheers

shirmal