cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can see the tape, erase and rename the tape, but I cannot write files to it during backup. Backup exec 12.5 on microsoft 08 server dell power edge t300

Rocky_J
Level 2

I Hope someone can help me.
I have a dell Poweredge server t300
Running Windows 2008 Server
12.5 Symantec Backup Exec.
This is also a new install on a new machine.

I can access the drive in renaming the tape, erasing the tape, retensioning the tape, but when I go to write to the tape I get errors. There is a service that I had to turn on in the server called Voltume Shadow Copy Service, it was off, I started the service and I recieved the same error, I put the service in Automatic and restarted the server from a shutdown, after reboot I checked the Volume Shadow copy Service to see if it was started  and it was. I tried to run the backup again and I got the same error, so far no online text has been able to resolve my Problem. basicaly my error is this : e000fec9 - A failure occurred accessing the Writer metadata.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Using Windows 2008 Server R2 Std

RUnning Symantic Backup Exec 12.5 Rev 2213

/html;charset=utf-8">

<PRE class=WW_INDENT>AOFO: Started for resource: "D:". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

The snapshot provider used by VSS for volume D: - Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0 (Version 1.0.0.7).

<A class=ERR_LNK href="http://eventlookup.veritas.com/eventlookup/EventLookup.jhtml?EvtID=V-79-57344-65225" target=_blank clickable="true">V-79-57344-65225</A><A class=E name=0> - A failure occurred accessing the Writer metadata.

</A>

</PRE>

====================================================================================
Backup 00008Job History for Backup 00008
Expand AllCollapse All
Backup 00008
Job name            : Backup 00008Job type            : BackupJob status          : FailedJob log             : C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\BEX_SERVER_00030.xmlServer name         : SERVERSelection list name : Backup 00008Device name         : DAT72Target name         : DAT72Media set name      : Daily Media SetError category    : Resource ErrorsError             : e000fec9 - A failure occurred accessing the Writer metadata.
For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65225

Job Summary Information
Byte count          : 0 bytesJob rate            : 0.00 MB/Min (Byte count of all backup sets divided by Elapsed time for all backup sets)Files               : 0Directories         : 0Skipped files       : 0Corrupt files       : 0Files in use        : 0Original start time : Thursday, November 19, 2009 1:37:47 PMJob started         : Thursday, November 19, 2009 1:47:46 PMJob ended           : Thursday, November 19, 2009 1:47:51 PMElapsed time        : 00:00:05

Set Detail Information - Backup \\SERVER\D:
Set type               : BackupSet status             : CompletedSet description        : Resource name          : \\SERVER\D:Logon account          : AdministratorEncryption used        : NoneError                  : e000fec9 - A failure occurred accessing the Writer metadata.
Agent used                     : YesAdvanced Open File Option used : Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS)

Byte count             : 0 bytesRate                   : 0.00 MB/MinFiles                  : 0Directories            : 0Skipped files          : 0Corrupt files          : 0Files in use           : 0Start time             : Thursday, November 19, 2009 1:47:46 PMEnd time               : Thursday, November 19, 2009 1:47:51 PM
======================================================================================

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rocky_J
Level 2
I contacted dell suport and thru a web x session they where able to resolve the problem. Semantics has a Hot fix named 331998.
The tape drive is working well now, thanks to everyone that helped me.

Sincerely
Rocky

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Are you running 2008 or 2008 R2? Your post lists both

If you are running 2008 R2, then you are not running in a supported configuration.

Rocky_J
Level 2

Hi Ben, thanks for the reply,
It is 2008 R2. does this mean that I cannot use the tape backup system?

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Currently Backup Exec 12.5 only supports installing a remote agent on 2008 R2.  So at this time you won't be able to use the tape drive on the 2008 R2 system.

Rocky_J
Level 2
What Flavor of 2008 server will it work with?

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Here is a link to our Software Compatibility List, it has a list of all the supported versions of Windows.
ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_for_WindowsNT/307063.pdf

Rocky_J
Level 2
I contacted dell suport and thru a web x session they where able to resolve the problem. Semantics has a Hot fix named 331998.
The tape drive is working well now, thanks to everyone that helped me.

Sincerely
Rocky