cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't catalog tape for restore - An unknown error occurred on device "DRV1"

agsistemas
Level 3
Hi,

I had a problem 2 weeks ago I wanted upgraded Backup Exec 12.5 to 2010 but I had a problem, I didn't have enough free space of drive C, then I opened a case with Symantec to manually truncate the catalog because was huge 20 GB. I truncated the catalog and I kept 3 moths ago and when I had the necessary space for upgrade then I upgrade to Backup Exec 2010. Now I can backup and restore data from disks or tapes without problems, but I need to restore data from one tape of january and how I truncated the catalog I don't have the catalog of this tape.

Before to start restore operation I try to catalog the 2 tapes that I need to restore this data but my surprise is that backup exec 2010 can't read the tape. In job log appears this error message:

Completation Status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00084c8 - The backup storage device has failed-

Errors:
Catalog:
An unknown error occurred on device "MSL4048DRV1"
V-79-57344-33992 - The backup storage device has failed.

To verify that I can restore from other tapes I tried and I do it without problems.
I think only occurs when I try to restore tapes that backup with backup exec 12.5. Also I tried with other older tapes I have the same problem.

I open a case with thecnical support yesterday, but I need a solutiion as soon as possible and Symantec don't have contact me yet.

Someone can help me?

Thank you so much.
10 REPLIES 10

agsistemas
Level 3

Hi,

I try to catalog tapes that I keep with backup exec 2010 and I can't catalog any tape.

Someone have an explanation?

Thank you so much

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi there,

Since that is an HP device, go to the HP drivers website and do a search for HP Library and Tape Tools. Download, and then run the utilities. This is going to show you an error, and I would then suggest logging a call with HP.
If not, check that you can inventory the library. If so, communication with BE isn't an issue. Also check that RSM isn't enabled for some reason.
I am leaning towards a drive that is in the process of failing...do the above, and reply with the outcome.

Laters!

agsistemas
Level 3

Hi

It is not a problem with HP drive or library because I can restore data from tape that I have catalog and I can backup with it.

I think is a problem with backup exec 2010 and his catalog service.

What is it "RSM"?

CraigV
RSM = Removable Storage Service...

Another thing you can try is the following:

Tools --> Options --> Catalog --> uncheck: Use storage media-based catalogs

Run the catalog option again...

agsistemas
Level 3

RSM is not available and Use storage media-based catalogs is unchecked.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

CraigV
Was it unchecked when you looked? If so, check it again and then try once more...

agsistemas
Level 3

Always was unchecked and unavailable and if I look again is still equal.

Can I do it some diagnostic with BE 2010 that helps give me new clues?

Thanks

CraigV
They have SGMON and that is built into the menu of BE, but a support agent will normally ask you to run this with specific selections.
Have you checked the error stats of that particular tape?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Did you do an inventory on the tape before you try to catalog it?

CraigV
Hi,

Any news here?