cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I desperately need help with Symantec backup exec 11

Bojan_Vujic
Level 3
Hi All,

I desperately need help with Symantec backup exec 11 in creating media rotation strategies.

I want to every day in a week be backed up one tape. It means after Sunday backup is completed I want to backup data again on first tape named Monday. When tape is full I want it to be overwritten, oldest data to overwritten first. I�m performing two type of backup: Every day in the morning full backup and after that incremental backup every hour.

I have HP Ultrium Auto loader with 8 tapes inside.

I try all but always was unsuccessful. Please help
11 REPLIES 11

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
Do you want one tape per day, eg Monday tape, tuesday tape etc.

Are you planning to leave all your tapes in your tape drive all the time?

Bojan_Vujic
Level 3
Yes I want exactly that. One tape per day, and to be in HP Ultrium LTO all the time. Any Advice ?

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
If you want to leave your tapes in the device then you can partition your library under the devices tab. You can create a Monday partitions, Tuesday etc. YOu then create a backup job for each day and direct each one to the appropriate partition.

Bojan_Vujic
Level 3
Can you Please give me more details or some step-by-step guide how to do this. I will really appreciate

P.S.
I don't have any library, I have HP StorageWorks 1/8 Autoloader - Ultrium LTO. Is this what I want possible to be maked by this equipment at all ?Message was edited by:
Bojan Vujic

Richard_Mugford
Level 4
- Within BE 11 click on the devices tab.
- Under Robotic Libraries there should be a device name ie Overland 1 or something of the sort.
- Right Click on that Device> Configure Partitions...
- This is where you can divide up the slots into partitions of say 1 slot per day ie slot1-slot1=Monday slot2-slot2=Tuesday.

Then within your daily backup jobs in Destination - Device and Media point your Monday backup job to slot1 and your Tuesday job to slot2 within the device drop down menu etc..etc..

I hope that helps a bit.

Cheers,
Rich

Bojan_Vujic
Level 3
HP StorageWorks 1/8 Autoloader is not recognized as Robotis libraries, it is under Stand Alone Device. Any instructions for this ?

Richard_Mugford
Level 4
Same thing really. Right click the device under stand-alone drives. The Configure Partitions option should be there somewhere.

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
There you go Bojan, you get a night shift and a day shift on this forum.

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
instead of partitioning the library I think that it would be easier to have a separate policy per day. Create 7 volume pools, one for each day of the week. have each policy call the volume pool that you want. Assign the tapes to the pool that you want.

Vladimir_Vuci1
Level 4
Bojane,

You can call us if you are here in Serbia, take a number form our site (www.netpp.co.yu) or call 011/36-999-67.

Do you have LEO option? If not, that is why you see in only in Standalone Device.

Sincerely yours,
Vladimir Vucinic
vladimir (at) netpp.co.yu

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
A long as BackupExec can see a tape volume, and if the associated OPP has expired, ti doesn't matter what media set it is in, the oldest tape will be used for an overwrite job.

The only way to be certain that a specific job uses a specific tape is to use partitions

Message was edited by:
Ken Putnam