cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I hate to ask…is my only recourse to restart the server?

Leo2011
Level 4

I have been receiving the following error the last few evenings.

Resource Errors

Error: e000035f - The SQL Server backup interface has reported a problem. Further details can be found in the job log. Restarting the SQL Server service or the server may correct the problem.

My problem is with our high dependence on SQL, I do not have an opportune time to restart our server(s) until the weekend.  That leaves the nightly sessions failing.  However, I checked to see if the agent(s) were running on the servers and conducted a Test Run (that was successful).

I hate to ask…is my only recourse to restart the server?

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

It mentions the service, not the server. Either way it means a bit of downtime.

That said, have you made sure your media server is fully patched and that you have done a push-install to any remote servers after doing this? You don't mention the version of BE...

You might also want to disable AOFO if you're using it, as per the Symantec TN below...

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH66447

Leo2011
Level 4

I am using Backup Exec 2010.  In regards to updates – I periodically check with “Live Updates”.  I also have gone into “Install Agents and Media Servers…” and install those updates to make certain they were pushed to each server.

In regards to restarting the service(s), Friday I simple exited the remote agents and restarted them one at a time.  Apparently, that was wrong because I had the weekend sessions just skipped.  Therefore, today I went into the services (on each server) and stopped “Backup Exec Remote Agent...” and restarted it.

The frustrating part is Friday I ran a test run and all return find.  I arrive today to find nothing was OK.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...if you're not using BE 2010 R3 then I'd suggest you upgrade to that first. You can use your current licenses and it is essentially a free upgrade. Run LiveUpdate, download the available patches and push-install them out.

Try the backup again and post the results...

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Juts to slightly clarify Craig Vs answer - download Backup Exec 2010 R3 manually and then upgrade your existing installation with this download. Then run Live Update to patch R3 to latest Hotfix levels  and then push out the remote agents

R3 itself will not install via LiveUpdate but can be downloaded from the trialware link available at http://www.backupexec.com

Your existign 2010 licenses will be valid for R3.