cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need Good plan for backing up server

Saqib_Iqbal
Level 2

Dear 

I am a network administrator in my company. I need a good plan for backing up differnet servers working in my server room. e.g. Domain Controller with AD, Exchange server, file server, wsus, and a ERP application named prizma. i am confused about what should be the plan for backuping for all them so if any time of my job i need to retireive important data, i should be able to impress my IT manager and my company.

Thanks

Saqib Iqbal

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Talk to your manager and user to get their data retention requirement.  Find out how long should each type of data be kept and how close to the present you need to restore the data.  For example, e-mails in Exchange may need to be kept for x number of years because of regulatory requirements and you must be able retrieve a deleted e-mail from y hours ago.  You then need to setup your backup no more than y hours apart and you must keep your Exchange backup sets for x number of years.  Repeat this process for all your servers and data types.

See the media management section of the BE Admin Guide on how to set up your retention periods.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Talk to your manager and user to get their data retention requirement.  Find out how long should each type of data be kept and how close to the present you need to restore the data.  For example, e-mails in Exchange may need to be kept for x number of years because of regulatory requirements and you must be able retrieve a deleted e-mail from y hours ago.  You then need to setup your backup no more than y hours apart and you must keep your Exchange backup sets for x number of years.  Repeat this process for all your servers and data types.

See the media management section of the BE Admin Guide on how to set up your retention periods.

Saqib_Iqbal
Level 2

Thanks a lot.

Friend