cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need help on installing these two!

SammieL
Level 3

I have these two licences for symantec backup autoexec!

SYMC BACKUP EXEC 2014 SERVER WIN PER SERVER BNDL STD LIC EXPRESS BAND S ESSENTIAL 12 MONTHS, QTY:2

SYMC BACKUP EXEC 2014 SERVER WIN PER SERVER I/O ESSENTIAL 12 MONTHS, QTY:2

I have been reading the Symantec Backup Exec™ 2012 Licensing Guide but could not seem to understand. And so I need help on the following things:

1. The translation of those licences ----- what do they exactly mean.
  2. The difference between Backup Exec Server and Backup Exec Agent.
  3. With these licences, Can I install Backup Autoexec on a new server and use it to backup an existing remote server?
14 REPLIES 14

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

read the TN below on how to install the licenses:

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH178483.html

2. Backup Exec server = the media server. This handles all backup jobs, restores, catalogs etc. and without it you can't do a thing. The BE agent is installed on a remote server and this allows the media server to backup/restore the remote server. Essentially it allows communications between the 2.

3. Yes you can.

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

1) In a brief, the license is for the Backup Exec 2014 core product to be installed on the server where BE will be present. It includes 12 months of "essential maintenance" which means you can access technical support (over the phone) and are eligible to a free upgrade if a newer version gets released in those 12 months.

For a detailed explanation, pls contact the Licensing Team.

2) All licenses are installed on the main BE server. The server license is required for BE to function. The Agent license is required to backup to remote servers.

3) You seem to have 2 Backup Exec server licenses and not an Agent license. This will allow you to install BE on 2 servers and in this case, each server can backup only itself.

SammieL
Level 3

Thank you very much for your explanation, what then makes the difference between the two in here:

------------------------------- BNDL STD LIC EXPRESS BAND S ESSENTIAL

AND

-------------------------------- I/O ESSENTIAL

CraigV

...the licensing department should be able to tell you.

VJware
Level 6

The description with LIC means the actual product license. The second description means the maintenance support licnese .

The first one is used to acitvate the product. The second one is used to access technical support.

SammieL
Level 3

I am a bit getting confused with this sentence ------ to backup to remote server!

In my question, I wanted to know if i can do this:

Make a fresh install of Windows Server and in it, install BE. Then use this installation to backup an existing remote server to this fresh installed server. Can I do this using these licenses?

CraigV

Yes you can, like I said before. Install BE on the server, upgrade the remote agent on the other server and configure backups...

pkh
   VIP    Certified
As previously advised, you have the licence for the BE server, but you still lack a remote agent licence licence to backup a remote server. If this remote server has applications/Databases like Exchange/SQL Server and you want to back these up, then you need an Agent for Applications and Databases licence for each of these applications/Databases. The Agent for Applications and Databases licence includes a remote agent licence so you can backup the files on this remote server without any further licence. Before you purchase any more licences, check with the Symantec Licencing department

SammieL
Level 3

Thank you all. I think I now have the solution. Though can't mark anyone as an answer because there are many replies to my question which helped me reach to the solution . Again, thank yuo very much.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You can click on the Request Split Solution link and mark multiple answers as the solution

SammieL
Level 3

As previously advised, you have the licence for the BE server, but you still lack a remote agent licence licence to backup a remote server.

If this remote server has applications/Databases like Exchange/SQL Server and you want to back these up, then you need an Agent for Applications and Databases licence for each of these applications/Databases. The Agent for Applications and Databases licence includes a remote agent licence so you can backup the files on this remote server without any further licence.

Before you purchase any more licences, check with the Symantec Licencing department

Yes you can, like I said before. Install BE on the server, upgrade the remote agent on the other server and configure backups...

The two answers are making me confused!? Let me ask again! With these licenses, will my scenario work or I need to buy another license---- the one you call remote agent!?

VJware
Level 6

You have 2 Backup Exec Server licenses. They can be used to install the complete BE software on two servers and have each server back itself up.

To backup remote servers, you would need a remote agent license. You can get in touch with the licensing team and see if they can replace one of the server license with a remote agent license instead.

SammieL
Level 3

In this case, please advice me. I have two remote servers which I wish to backup on this server(The BE Server). How many Backup Exec Server licenses do I need and how many remote agent licenses do I need?

VJware
Level 6

There are 2 ways you can go about

1) Install Backup Exec on both servers and they will back each other up. This will require 2 Backup Exec Server licenses. However, this is not a very cost-effective method.

2) Install Backup Exec on one server and install Remote Agent on the other server. You can backup both servers and this will require 1 Backup Exec server license and 1 Backup Exec remote agent license. If there are 3 servers in total, then 1 Backup Exec server license + 2 Remote Agent licenses and so on.