cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDR Boot Disk Blank (Black) Screen Hang

kokuryuha
Level 2

I have only been able to find one other reference to this issue, and it is dated, so I figured I'd repost and see if anyone has found a solution at all.

Original post is here:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/intelligent-disaster-recovery-boot-cd-hangs-blank-black-screen

I have several 2008 R2 systems on our network, 1 physical and 2 virtual.  I have read up and am testing the IDR process in order to make sure we are prepared for the worst case scenario, so while I have not ever completed the processes, I am familar with the way it is to operate.

In my testing, I attempted to boot from the IDR disc I made for 2008 R2, and get as far as the Windows logo splash screen.  Afterwards I appear to end up with a hang and a black screen.  The reason why I suspect a hang as opposed to no activity is that the keyboard becomes non responsive.  No numlock/capslock toggle at all.  I've attempted to make several media as well with no luck.  Has anyone else come across this issue?  Any help would be appreciated.

Couple things to note:

1.  I tested a 2003 x64 IDR disc I made for our other systems and that appears to work fine.

2.  Hardware is the same platform (these are all Dell PE2950 rigs) but the specs are different (different hard drives but RAID'ed in a similar manner, different CPU speed, different memory amounts).

3. Standard install of 2008 R2 occurs without a hitch, so suspect hardware is okay.

4.  Running 12.5 with all the available updates applied.

2 REPLIES 2

kokuryuha
Level 2

Alright, so I was able to set up a 2003 x64 machine to attempt to make a disc on that system as suggested on the referenced post, and the disc did work, however, I would like to know if there is a solution that works with 2008 R2 as I'm not intending to keep this system around. 

I've also run into another issue with the restore processes, but that's a seperate issue.  This disc appears to at least boot and get me into IDR.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

BE 12.5 offered only limited Remote Agent support for Win 2k8 R2....BE 2010 onwards offers full support for Win 2k8 R2...the incompatibility could be the reason for the issues encountered...