cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDR change of disk sub system

Niall_Davis
Level 3
Hi Guys,

I have a server running Win2K3 SBS and BE9.1 SBS.

I currently has two SCSI disk running as a software mirror through the OS. I have purchased a new RAID card to run the disks on and have begun testing rebuilding the system through IDR (I Have disk clones as I realise that I cannot rely on the IDR).

The problem I am getting is that when I use the IDR CD to boot the recovery, F6 to load the 3rd party RAID drivers and F2 for ASR - the IDR reports that the diak does not have at least the same capacity as the original and therefore setup cannot continue.

When I ran the IDR prep wizard I told it to automatically prepare the volumes.

Any ideas what the problem is?

Thanks,

Niall.
10 REPLIES 10

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If it was me, I'd prep the RAID with the mfg utility, then tell IDR to just use the disks as they exist.

(but then, I tend to hate wizards, because you are never quite sure what they are doing :) )

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Nial,

The following Artilce might be useful to you:

How to recover a system with a RAID array using the Intelligent Disaster Recovery Option
http://support.veritas.com/docs/190616

Let us know if you have any further Questions.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Niall_Davis
Level 3
Hi Ken,

Thanks for that - could you elaborate on the mfg utility?

Thanks,

Niall.

Niall_Davis
Level 3
Thanks Amruta,

I reviewed this document and I have already followed these points, I have successfully loaded the RAID driver by pressing F6, this works fine but when I come to IDR install I get an error saying that the volumes must be at least the same size as the original - which they are!

Thanks,

Niall.

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Hi Niall,

How about this. Forget about IDR. I've never seen a resolution to a post here for a problem involving IDR.

Install Windows. Install Sp1. Install BE. Restore from tape.

When that works, you'll wonder just what was ever "intelligent" about IDR in the first place.

Niall_Davis
Level 3
Hi Joshua,

Thanks for that - I am starting to wonder myself!

The only reason for using the IDR is that I want to change from windows software RAID to a new hardware RAID controller.
To my knowledge, I need the original disk controller fitted if I am to do an "over the top" restore - The IDR will allow me to restore to different disk controllers for booting.

If this is not the case then I will pursue your recomendation - what are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Niall.

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Hi Niall,

I am afraid you have things backwards. IDR was designed, and is only supported when restoring in exactly the same hardware environment.

We have succesfully done "over the top" restores on completly different servers multiple times. It's really not a Veritas issue- the MS backup API that Veritas calls allows for the merging of the registry keys relating to hardware, rather than replacement.

Niall_Davis
Level 3
Thanks Joshua, That sounds excelent.

So if I do an over the top restore and select merge registries that should do it?
What about the configuration for the original software raid array - should I break the mirror first?
The BE Administrator guide manual has a section on IDR Recovery with different SCSI Systems (Page 940 and page 950).
If the system cannot restore to different SCSI Subsystems then the manual is very misleading!

What do you think?

Thanks again, Niall.

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Hi Niall,

I can't comment on whether it "can" be done. I can tell you what I know works, and yes, it would be best to break the software mirror before taking your backup, then yes, just restoring.

IDR, according to every support statement I have ever seen, is designed for use on identical hardware, and furthermore, is a hopeless attempt at streamlining a process in a way that makes it far more unreliable.

I see posts on this board CONSTANTLY regarding problems with IDR, and the "don't use it" solution has always worked.

For what it's worth, we're a Veritas reseller, but we don't stock nor market this feature. It's pointless.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please see the technote for more information on using IDR with different hardware.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/191461

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.