cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDR - fails to restore MS Exchange Public Folder Store and Mailbox store.

Peter_Turvey
Level 4
Is there a white paper or something that advises on the best way to backup / recover an MS Exchange Server ?

I'm using Backup Exec 12 and have successfully run a Backup job of everything : C,D and E disk partitions, System State, MS Info Store, MS SQL Server BKUPEXEC, Shadow Copy Components etc.
I am using the Advanced Open File Option with Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service.
The Job Log from the Backup shows no errors.

When I try and do an Intelligent Disaster Recovery using the backup tape from this job (and the bootable IDR disk and the .dr floppy) it all seems to work OK but my MS mailbox store and Public Folder stores were missing.

Any advice would be gratefully received.
Thanks
           Peter Turvey
3 REPLIES 3

Peter_Turvey
Level 4
Having done a bit more investigation it looks like the contents of my "D:\Program Files\Exchserver\MDBDATA" directory are not being written to tape.
This folder contains the "priv1.edb" database file which is the mailstore on the Exchange Server.

I've bought the MS Exchange Agent for Backup Exec.
Does anybody know what else I have to do to get this to work ?

Thanks
           Peter Turvey

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Here is the Best Practices Guide for Exchange

if you are not using the Exchange Agent, none of your Exchange data is being backed up unless you dismount the Storage Groups (usually not an option )

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
IDR does not restore data backed up through application agents (such as Exchange and SQL). If you think about it, this is undersstandable, as the application agent needs the application to be running to restore to it - when you do the IDR process it's not running yet!
Make sure you're backing up the Information Store (which you say you are), then do your IDR recovery like normal, then restore the Exchange Information Store, following the steps in the Exchange Agent section of the Administrator's Guide.
This shoudn't take long, and "just work"!