cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDR wizard for BE 2010R3 cannot see Windows 2008 Source OS Files

jeffs46
Level 2

When running the IDR Wizard on BE 2010R3, the wizard stops when selecting the source for Windows Server 2008 install DVD.   I have 2008 x86 and x64 install DVDs and images straight from MS Technet.  I have tried both the DVD and files copied from the DVD to the server.

When selecting the root of the install CD, it errors out saying it cannot find the <drive>\sources\lang.ini file.  Selecting <drive>\sources results in an "error determining operating system version of the given CD/Path."  This occurs with both the x86 and x64 versions of the 2008 install DVD.  I have tried many combination of paths, but continue to get errors.  Believe 2010R3 may be stuck on looking for Server 2003 file paths / .sif /.ini files, none of which are present in a 2008 install DVD.

What is the correct path on the Win 2008 Server Install DVD to select so that the IDR wizard in BE 2010 R3 to recognizes the 2008 install DVD source?  Is there a work-around?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Inprofile
Level 2

I've found the solution for this problem, it was the wrong Windows ISO dvd. That's why Backupexec came with this error.

You need exactly the same cd/dvd installation disk to use IDR, otherwise it w'll stop.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If you downloaded MSDN/Technet images but your system was actually built from a retail or oem DVD then you may need to source the same type of installation media that the system was originally installed from.

jeffs46
Level 2

Thanks Colin.  Tried the original OEM-type 2008 Install DVD and still a no-go.  And by the way, the installed language version on the targeted server is English, as is the source DVD. 

Say the original install was done from a ston-stock MS 2008 install DVD - what would the correct path be so BE 2010 would recognize it as being Win 2008? 

Lastly, might BE 2010 be expecting some kind of standard volume name so it knows what to look for?  Any idea what that might be?

Colin_Weaver

Hmm - well when I recently tested with a 2008 (possibly R2) IDR set I used a Technet Install to create the server in the first place and the same Technet installer in the IDR Wizard and it worked fine.

I don't think BElooks for the volume label of the DVD at all,as I am pretty sure you can copy the DVD content to subfolders on a hard disk and it will still accept that location. As far as I am aware BE specifically looks for file versions or content and if it finds a conflcit it won't accept it.

As an aside the BE 2012 replacement for IDR will no longer need the OS DVD as you will use a standard ISO image for all operating systems like SSR 2011 currently has.

jeffs46
Level 2

So when you did your test on the technet installer, where did you point the IDR wizard to?  The root?  Some other folder?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Are you using a multi-lingual version of the DVD?  There was a previous user who experiences the same problem when he used a multi-lingual version of the DVD.  When he use the English only version, he was able to create the IDR disk.

You should not copy the installation DVD to disk.  You should just put in the DVD drive and point the wizard to the drive, e.g. D:

Colin_Weaver

If you run SGMON.exe from the Backup Exec Program Files  folder, and only check/enable the IDR box and the Capture to File boxes and then attempt to run the IDR Wizard to make the CD, does the SGMON log capture anything indicating what might be expected as a source?

Inprofile
Level 2

We have also the same problem "see the attachment", the server is running Microsoft Windows 2008 R2 standard SP1 with Symantec backup exec 2010 R3.

After copying the complete DVD to the server, it stoped at lang.ini, I also looked in the file lang.ini what is on the DVD and the server but both files are empty. I can't put in the DVD in the server because it's located somewhere else or install a progam on the server so I could mount the DVD.

Any a idea?

Inprofile
Level 2

I've found the solution for this problem, it was the wrong Windows ISO dvd. That's why Backupexec came with this error.

You need exactly the same cd/dvd installation disk to use IDR, otherwise it w'll stop.