cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDR worked once, but not again.

Charles_Tripp
Level 3
Some background: we purchased IDR when we upgraded to 11d back in January.  It was a total flop.  The IDR boot CDs didn't have any of the drivers the wizard was supposed to load, and after tremendous frustration, I gave up on it.

Fast forward to this weekend.  Having updated 11d through Live Update, I thought I'd give IDR another go.  I ran a full backup on all my servers, then used the IDR wizard to create a boot disk for a test server that I was going to modify.  After testing my modifications, I used the IDR boot disk to restore the server from tape.  I chose the automatic option.

It worked quite well; the IDR CD actually had the drivers on it, and when I selected to restore from a remote media server, it found the NIC and bound it.  It did generate several messages about not being able to load help files associated with several dll's, but the NIC came up with the correct IP info, and I was able to ping the test server.

I moved on, and where the IDR program selects the restore media, it had picked up a differential tape that was overwritten weeks ago.  Why it didn't select the full backup I had just run, I don't know (again, I ran a full backup, then created the IDR CD using the wizard).  Anyway, I let the restore fail (I got errors telling me the media was no longer available), then selected "Yes" when it asked if I wanted to use other media.  I created a restore job from the Backup Exec server and, using the temporary account created by IDR, restored the C: and D: drives without a problem.

Well, the server wouldn't start, and I realized it was because I forgot to restore the System State, Shadow Copy and Utility Partition.  Not a problem; I just decided to try again the next day.

So, now, it's the next day, and I go through this process again, only now, it doesn't work.  When I try to test the permissions on the temp account created by IDR (and, yes, I deleted the previous account and am using the one created for the new restore job), I get an error message that reads "A network connection to the server could not be established".  This error only appears next to the System State and Shadow Copy connections; the connections to the C:, D:, and Utility Partition test successful.

I tried running the job anyway, and I'm asked for the two tapes from the full backup.  Then the job fails, with the following error messages:

V-79-57344-3844 - The media server was unable to connect to the Remote Agent on machine SERVER.
The media server will use the local agent to try to complete the operation.
Unable to attach to \\SERVER\C:.
V-79-57344-33898 - The resource could not be restored because an error occurred while connecting to ...
Make sure that the correct version of the Remote Agent is installed and running on the target comput...
V-79-57344-65072 - Connection to the restore target has been lost.  Operation canceled.
Unable to attach to \\SERVER\Utility Partition.
V-79-57344-33898 - The resource could not be restored because an error occurred while connecting to ...
Make sure that the correct version of the Remote Agent is installed and running on the target comput...
V-79-57344-65072 - Connection to the restore target has been lost.  Operation canceled.
Unable to attach to \\SERVER\System?State.

I've checked the links pointing to articles 281212 and 280668, but neither applies to my problem.  I am getting really disgusted with IDR, because it doesn't work as advertised (well, once, but only once).  I guess I can always restore in the traditional way, but then what's the point of IDR?
1 REPLY 1

Charles_Tripp
Level 3
I got on the phone with Symantec.  The reason the job went into queued was that the BE server couldn't connect to the IDR program on the server I was trying to restore.  This despite the fact that I could ping the server.  May be a network problem on my end, but I tried a traditional restore and it's running right now.

As much as I'd like to blame Symantec on this one, I'm suspecting the network, as it's been crisp and flakey, right out of the oven, for some weeks now.  The only thing I can do is try IDR some other time once our network issues are resolved.