cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMG Folders not deleted

betsafemalta
Level 3

Hi,

I have seen numerous posts regarding this issue, however was unable to determine a solution.

I am running Backup Exec Ver 13 2896 (64 Bit), performing daily, weekly and monthly backups of a Domain Controller and File Server (2 Windows 2008 Boxes). My Backup destination is a Share on another Windows 2008 Server which is part of the domain.

I can see that my B2D Files are being correctly deleted / overwritten, however the IMG folders are not being deleted. This is basically consuming my entire Folder.

1. Browsing the Media Viewer, I can only see IMG000052 and IMG000053, does this mean that all the IMG folders in my Backup share can be deleted?

2. If i delete / move these IMG folder, is it going to effect restoring the existing data?

3. How can I configure Backup Exec to correctly remove the IMG folders which are no longer required?

Thanks for your time,

Mark

13 REPLIES 13

srshimpi
Level 3

exactly which BE version you are using ?

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

When a job that uses Granular Recovery Technology (GRT) creates a backup set,

Backup Exec erases an IMG media that has an expired protection period. Backup

Exec automatically erases the expired media to reclaim disk space for the new

media that the backup job creates. Backup Exec erases the oldest IMG media for

each backup set in a GRT-enabled job. For example, if a GRT-enabled backup job

creates three backup sets, Backup Exec erases three IMG media that have expired

overwrite protection periods. But sometimes it is not deleting the IMG folders completely.

Your B2D files are overwriting correctly, means there is not much to do with configuration.

i think deleting the IMG folders of expired backups will not effect your restores.

Better explained in the below mentioned article.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH66499&actp=search&viewlocale=en_U...

Checkout this article...

It may help you

Mahesh_Roja
Level 6

blog

Workarounds:

The expired IMG folder cannot be deleted unless the "WMIPRVSE.EXE" process is stopped. To delete the expired IMG media please follow the steps mentioned below:

Workaround 1

1. On the Backup Exec server, stop the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) service. 

Note: There will be other services dependent on the WMI service, which also will be stopped.

2. Delete all the expired IMG folders that have been left behind and have only the ESE.DLL file in it.

3. Start the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) service.

Workaround 2

Leave the IMG folders on the server until the lock is released and then delete them (after planned reboots etc). This as minimal space is used for this and that it does not cause any issue with Backup Exec functionality."

I think the hint is SBS2003. I am using SBS2008 and it also fails.
Thanks for the input re batch files, I will implement them today. Can't wait for Symantec to fix it!!!!!

betsafemalta
Level 3

Thanks for your suggestions.. I knoticed that most references to GRT are relating to Exchange. I am backing up a Domain Controller (Full Backup) and a File Server Drive running on Win 2k8.

Do i need to use GRT for such backups? Or can this be removed?

Thanks again.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You can use Granular Recovery Technology (GRT) to restore certain individual items from backup sets. For example, you can use the Agent for Microsoft Exchange Server to restore an email message from a backup without having to restore the entire mailbox. Or, you can use the Agent for Microsoft SharePoint to restore a list without restoring the entire site. To restore individual items, the Granular Recovery Technology feature must be enabled when you create a backup job

betsafemalta
Level 3

Thanks again, last clarification... The IMG folder is always 6.6GB for every single backup run... Even when a small incremental backup is done..

Is this normal behaviour?

Thanks

betsafemalta
Level 3

Allocate the maximum size for backup-to-disk files is not enabled.

Maximum size for backup-to-disk files is set to 4GB.

Is the above incorrect?

Thanks

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

What is the Maximum number of backupsets per backup-to-disk file value?

And what is your backup-to-disk folder size?

betsafemalta
Level 3

What is the Maximum number of backupsets per backup-to-disk file value?  = 100

And what is your backup-to-disk folder size? = 239GB

thanks,

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Change the setting:

Allocate Maximum Size for Backup Jobs setting to No... of B2D folder..

And change the value of Maximum size for backup-to-disk file as required

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Maximum size for backup-to-disk files is set to 4GB.

Means if you create a job to backup 8GB of data, BE will be creating 2 files/folders of 4GB.

Along with those GRT log files also will be saved....

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Is your incremental backups also will come more than 4GB?

If yes i think backup data + GRT logs =6.6GB. (Each IMG folder)