cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMHO, Don't Upgrade to Windows Server 2003 SP2!

Rich_Lichvar
Level 4
If you are running Backup Exec 11/11d on a machine running Windows Server 2003, I suggest you do not ugrade to Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2! I am having multiple problems with Backup Exec 11 (although not the latest build that just came out) including inability to delete old jobs/catalogs (results in SQL Server OLE DB errors), the Backup Server Engine hanging, VolSnap errors and running out of memory, and more. Restarting the Backup Exec services and re-running the jobs will fix some of these problems as will running an install/repair; however, this never fixes the inability to delete old catalogs (and getting the SQL Server OLE DB error). I will be uninstalling SP2 this weekend and running another install/repair to see if this fixes the problem.

Also, I've been unable to download the newest build (7xxx) of 11/11d. The download gets somewhere in the middle and times out or the download server resets and kills the download. Consequently, testing whether installing this new build will resolve some/all of these problems has not been possible.
3 REPLIES 3

Dennis_Thornton
Level 6
I upgraded the server from 2003SE R2 x64 to SP2 and other than reapplying the BE Drivers had no problems whatsoever.  Remote was upgraded without a problem (2003 SE SP1) to SP2.

The server is a file, print, BE, WSUS, and an HP Repository server.

SP2 was distributed via WSUS.

Rich_Lichvar
Level 4
Lucky you. Two install/repairs later we may finally be stable. -Rich

Jack_Dorsey
Level 5
Updated all of our applicable servers to SP2 two weeks ago and noticed absolutely no difference at all on anything.  Might be environment-specific?