cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IS THE BACKUP EXEC 12 DOES NOT TAKE THE BACKUP DIRECTLY ON TAPE

roh234
Level 5
Partner Accredited

some one told me that backup exec 2012 does not takee the backup directly to tape.first you need to take the backup on disk then it will be on tape

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...if you're backing up databases for instance, then it's advised that you backup-to-disk first, and then duplicate to tape. This is purely for restore purposes. In the case of Exchange for instance, if you run a GRT backup to tape, it would need to stage the entire Information Store to disk first, and then restore from there.

Having the primary backup running to disk first eliminates this need. And...it depends on whether or not you have disk capacity. Other than that, whomever told you that ANY version of BE won't backup to tape directly is talking rubbish!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No. This is not true.  You can backup directly to tape with BE 2012.

roh234
Level 5
Partner Accredited

ohk thanks

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...if you're backing up databases for instance, then it's advised that you backup-to-disk first, and then duplicate to tape. This is purely for restore purposes. In the case of Exchange for instance, if you run a GRT backup to tape, it would need to stage the entire Information Store to disk first, and then restore from there.

Having the primary backup running to disk first eliminates this need. And...it depends on whether or not you have disk capacity. Other than that, whomever told you that ANY version of BE won't backup to tape directly is talking rubbish!

roh234
Level 5
Partner Accredited

i am going to back up the VM in which DATABASE is installed and exchange and Ad Server is on physical server,

so what will you suggest me in this case

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you have sufficient disk space, backup to disk first and then duplicate the backup to tape.  Otherwise, just backup directly to tape.